NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Excessive Preening?

paleale

Pearl seems to be transitioning really really well into our home which makes us all very happy! :) She is (I think) preening, but I wonder if it's nervousness? She seems to be messing a lot with the part of her wings that was clipped. Is she just getting used to the feeling of them being clipped? The breeder did this about one week ago. I hope this isn't beginning stages of plucking... :confused:

Sometimes the ends of where the wings were clipped can be irritating so maybe that is what is happening, don't focus on that or it could become something, if you have some aloe vera juice use that to bathe her in and frequently.

This is exactly what my grey did for a long time, she was clipped before I brought her home and though I never clipped her again she overpreened one side that I guess was irritating her and she has just now left it alone enough for a full set of feathers to come back in. I hope you will allow Pearl's flight feathers to come back in and leave her unclipped, they are much more confident when they are allowed to fly as they should.

• 1 month later...

I can imagine an "excessive clipping",can make a bird be more "itchy!" Doesn't mean they are " chewing their feathers!" Babies don't chew. It is tough to decide to choose " flight", vs "clipping". My groomer gets "annoyed", with people that choose to allow their birds to fly.He hates all the calls he gets with a " parent losing their bird!" I understand "full flight", as well as I understand "trimming!"

I got Sophie at age two .She was already going thru the terrible two's but couldn't fly. Her lack of flight, helped me to train her within a short time. BUT... it took her 10 years to fly like she really wanted too. I'm still working on my own personal thoughts.

I have already decided, babies need to learn to be fully flighted in the beginning. It shouldn't have taken Sophie 12 years to learn how to fly. BUT... with an excellent trimmer, as I have, I would have been comfortable, trimming my babies feathers back, during training. Flight to three rooms is enough. Once training was complete... back to flying 100.%

• Haha 1

Thusie does the same thing. the clip was done pretty ragged. I'm considering "cleaning it up".

Hi, let the clip take care of it's self, don't trim, it will come in right in it's own time. Follow Judy's advice, Aloe Vera juice 3 times a week...

• 2 months later...

hi all i know this post is old but where do you get aloe vera juice please?my baby is having the same symptoms at 12 weeks but she is not clipped! iv seen a johnsons mite spray and a rainforrest mist thats suppsoed to help but im not sure about using such products on my Willow (CAG) incase she has a reaction. i cannot see any mies but she did come from a shop with other birds and seems to get a twitch she has to scratch and bite at all over her body!

You can get 100% Aloe Juice in gallon jugs at most any walmart or walgreens. If you really think your baby may have mites, please take her to an avian vet to properly diagnose and treat them. If you have not done so already, a wellness check should always be done when you first bring home a baby grey. It will establish a relationship with your local avian vet and ensure all is well with your new baby. :)

Edited by danmcq