NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Noisey African Grey

Navi

I recently (two days ago) brought home a 4 month old African Grey. He is VERY sweet, enjoys touching and scratches, but today has started excessively chirping and making a bunch of noises. His chirp was VERY high pitch for almost an hour so I tried feeding him some fruit. Now he is making a noise that sounds just like a crow. I'm trying to ignore him as that's what I read online, and the crowing seems to be getting quieter, but I want to make sure everything is okay with him. Is this normal? What is he trying to ask for or doing? Any help would be great! http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/user/Navi163/media/Sully2_zps43c9bff1.mp4.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=23653

attachment.php?attachmentid=23652

th_Sully2_zps43c9bff1.jpg

Edited by Navi

Just posted a picture of him. He has water and pellets as well as fruits and veggies cut up. I just fed him quite a bit and he does seem to be quieting down. I thought perhaps it was attention so I brought him close to me and was scratching his neck and talking to him, but he just continued to chirp.

I agree with Judy. He seems to be wanting a warm meal via hand feeding. As Judy said, try oatmeal. If that is not readily accepted, ask your breeder which formula they were using and mix some up and give it to him using a spoon. He is still very much a baby. My grey enjoyed a hand feeding once to twice a day for a few eeks after he came home at 16 weeks old.

Yep, sounds like he wants a hand feed. My grey is 7 months old and I still hand feed him some of his birdie mash on some evenings. He sounds just like a crow when he eats from a hand feed. I remember when he was 4 months old and he did exactly as your bird is doing when he wanted a hand feed.