NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Coconut Oil

Guest Jocelyn

Today I bought a huge container of coconut oil, as it seems to be good for everything

http://wellnessmama.com/5734/101-uses-for-coconut-oil/

I see people can eat it and dogs can eat it but are there benefits for Greys? If so how much should he have daily?

Definitely. It's high in fiber, and has some calcium. More importantly, it has lauric acid, which has shown to have bacterial and anti -viral properties.

It's also contains medium chain triglycerides, which is fat, but it is immediately converted into energy as opposed to fat.

It is also mixed in with veggie mixes in the supermarket. So yes, feed fresh coconut. If you want to give them the dried, or dessicated coconut, that's fine too, just make sure it has no sugar in it.

Guest Jocelyn
Definitely. It's high in fiber, and has some calcium. More importantly, it has lauric acid, which has shown to have bacterial and anti -viral properties.

It's also contains medium chain triglycerides, which is fat, but it is immediately converted into energy as opposed to fat.

It is also mixed in with veggie mixes in the supermarket. So yes, feed fresh coconut. If you want to give them the dried, or dessicated coconut, that's fine too, just make sure it has no sugar in it.

So coconut oil is okay? How much can I give him? Could I just mix it in his food?

So coconut oil is okay? How much can I give him? Could I just mix it in his food?

As Dave said: quote: So yes, feed fresh coconut. If you want to give them the dried, or dessicated coconut, that's fine too, just make sure it has no sugar in it:Unquote.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?197181-Coconut-Milk-Revisited..&highlight=coconutNot No Oil or milk processed product. Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Coconut Oil is ok.

The polyunsaturated oil in coconut oil is linoleic acid and it is an omega 6 essential fatty acid. It can aide in maintaining healthy feathers and cell membranes. The monounsaturated oil in coconut oil is oleic acid, and it is an omega 9 fatty acid. This is very important omega in any oil and most oils don’t contain it or contain it only in very limited quantity. Coconut oil contains it in abundance! While moderate use of coconut oil can actually aid in the lowering of bad LDL cholesterol by increasing the good HDL cholesterol, it is important to understand that coconut oil, even though it is a very healthy oil, can be overused because it is a “saturated fat”. It is not an animal fat, and it is a wonderful oil for parrot and human use when used in cooking foods, mixed in with foods etc.

It can be harmful if not used in moderation. For this reason, I suggest you do not feed this oil to your parrot on a daily basis. Too much of anything is not healthy. The oil is concentrated and not the same as giving your grey or other parrot a piece or two of Coconut flesh you have chopped up from a Coconut itself. I chop up and freeze the entire coconut meat. Then give a chunk or two every couple of days. You could for example use coconut oil in a birdy bread you bake for your parrots. I personally use Red Palm oil though, as it is a staple of african greys and more healthy than coconut oil for them as a whole. However, as I said, a little coconut oil every once in a while is good for them as well. Also, coconut oil will not go rancid, like some other oils.