NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Exercising a clipped CAG

Carolina

Dali is 6 months old and came home clipped, which I was not happy about. While I wait for him to get his feathers back, I was thinking of exercising him. When he's on his stand, he sometimes starts flapping. That's when I pick him up, grab his feet lightly, and start walking fast with him. He starts to flap his wings and then jumps, I cup his chest and let him 'fly' to his cage or stand. I was wondering if this makes any difference at all? Even if it doesn't, I might just continue doing it...you should see his smug face when he 'flies' to his cage or stand!

I am sure that you are helping Dali with your exercising methods. I am not sure that grabbing his feet is safe. I would suggest you get a flight harness so you can continue inside or run with him outside without risk. Getting him used to a harness at an early age is a good idea. My Misty is a much older parrot and I am having problems getting him into a harness. If he had been acclimatised to it as a baby it would have been much better for him.

Steve n Misty

Good comments. Building those flight muscles and enabling your bird to fly with assistance will help him immensley. You will find he will be able to go further and further even with clipped wings as those muscles, confidence and skills increase.

Marco is trimmed but she flies from her cage to the kitchen just fine. I agree with the harness as well getting them used to it and taking them outside (i thought) was great exercise. she LOVES to fly on the harness plus the sunshine is awesome for her. I think she likes the grass under her feet too when she lands :D

Thanks for all the replies! I am getting him used to the harness, it's going a lot easier than I thought! I don't grab his feet hard, it's just a way of me to know when he is going to 'go for it' or be lazy and just stay on..lol...he does this weird thing with his feet that signals that he's going for it! I can't wait for him to be flighted! :) They look so beautiful in flight!

Seeing them in flight, is a beautiful thing. It is great hear hear the harness is being received by him well. Many of us had to go through a long period of time to get the harness on and accepted. It is still a fight with dayo, but well worth it. :)

Today we had a big break through! I love how smart they are. Dali figured out that when I cup his chest, he's going to fly. So I no longer have to run around with him until he jumps...I just say "wanna fly" and cup his chest and he puts his feet back and we're off! He's like a kid that can't get enough...you can tell he was tired and a bit hot (80 degrees out!) but he wanted more! LOL I had to put him back in his cage inside so he can cool down and relax.

Today we had a big break through! I love how smart they are. Dali figured out that when I cup his chest, he's going to fly. So I no longer have to run around with him until he jumps...I just say "wanna fly" and cup his chest and he puts his feet back and we're off! He's like a kid that can't get enough...you can tell he was tired and a bit hot (80 degrees out!) but he wanted more! LOL I had to put him back in his cage inside so he can cool down and relax.

So cool!!!