NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greys are NOT cuddly birds...

jbsmomto1

That statement had a lot more words to it besides the 4 words you picked out above AND that statement pertained to greys who have reached the age of 1 to 2 yrs old, not like that baby bird tucked under your chin. Loads of people ask the question----* Gee, what happened to my bird?? He's a yr old and when he was a baby he used to be the cuddliest bird when he was with me. Now he's different. He's not so cuddly. Did I do something wrong???****

It all has to do with the personality of a grey as he gets older. They become less cuddly and more aloof.

And yes, I've had experiences with my greys and other people's greys--about 25 yrs of experience.

Edited by Dave007

Loads of people ask the question----* Gee, what happened to my bird?? He's a yr old and when he was a baby he used to be the cuddliest bird when he was with me. Now he's different. He's not so cuddly. Did I do something wrong???****

It all has to do with the personality of a grey as he gets older. They become less cuddly and more aloof.

And yes, I've had experiences with my greys and other people's greys--about 25 yrs of experience.

How true Dave. How many times have we heard that just on this forum alone? Tons of times. :)

But, there are exceptions to this like Talon (Penny), Luvparrots (Janet) and some other greys. I will say Dayo was my wifes cuddle muffin consistently from 6 weeks to about 2 yeas old. I believe many old time members here remember Dayo's terrible 2's. :P It started lessening in occurrences over the years and now it still happens, but rarely. He likes scratches fairly often but not for long sessions. Of course as everyone here knows I have ALWAYS been the bite king in regards Dayo until the last year or so. He has really changed in terms of allowing me to give him short scratch sessions as well.

Most the time, Dayo likes to just sit on or next to one of us and chill out or go over to his T-Stand and eat some seeds while watching TV or a Movie in the evenings. He has definitely become very independent.

But, I will always cherish this photo of our "baby" 1 year old Dayo:

0907060001.jpg

Edited by danmcq

Gracie does NOT cuddle! She fits the stereotype to perfection. She never even allowed scritches as a little black-eyed baby. Having said that. she shows her love in so many ways that I don't feel deprived. The other day when I came home Gracie said "Daddy's Home. I love daddy. Gracie happy". That warmed my heart as much as any cuddle.

Mickey has turned 2 in December and he too still loves to cuddle with me at night when we just sit and watch television. He would actually beg for me to fetch him off the top of his cage, and then will sit on my shoulder preening and has no problem in me helping with that. After this he would pull up his leg, and cuddle under my chin or hair where he would sit and sleep while i give scrithces every few minutes or so for at least an hour. Im hoping he would be an exeption but if not, that would never change one bit of my love and dedication to him.

Misty who I have just realised is nearly 11 ( I thought he was 9 but I got his birth year wrong) is not a cuddly fellow. He does not liked to be touched except on his beak or his neck for scritches at his request. However he is very affectionate. Often climbing up my chest when I am watching tv to get beak kisses.

Steve n Misty

That greys are not cuddly pertains to the majority of greys but as with all things there are exceptions to the rule and I like to see the exceptions for a lot of us have greys who do not like to cuddle, my Josey is one of them, I can touch her most places but she no longer likes to snuggle so I respect that, those who have cuddle muffins enjoy it.

Timber can be cuddly, but always on his terms. Most nights right before bed he wants to sit on my arm, lean his head on me and be scratched. Most of the rest of the day, I can touch his beak when I'm close but he doesn't encourage anything else. Every bird is different. I think the a good point of this conversation was that new grey owner's shouldn't have expectations about "cuddliness" because it doesn't always happen, and interactions change with time and maturity.

Biscotti is no longer cuddly either, after turning approx 18 mo., he said no more. Before that he would crawl under my chin & cuddly the evening away. He still likes his head scratched, on his terms. I love him just the way he is, he is his own bird & still amazes me every day with his intelligence & silliness. :D

My previous CAG, Beezer, was never a cuddler...not even as a baby! Never liked to be touched past his neck. Dali is still a baby and very cuddly, tonight was a very cuddly night! I love those moments! He's a lot more open to touching and even lets me open his wings, to a certain point. Greys have different personalities just like we do and just like other animals. I had a BHC (who bonded with my mom and is with her now) and that caique was a freaking gum! LOL..He wanted to be on you 24/7...when you tried to put him back in his cage, he would grab on to your hand with his feet and beak...you had to pry him off! LOL...I guess I'm more of a Grey person, like them, I'm not a 'people person' and my intelligence is above normal, well at least in Miami! ;)

Edited by Carolina

Thought this article pertains well to this thread: The Adolescent Grey by Bobbi Brinker. It's an article the breeder gave us along with a wealth of other information.

So what breed is generally considered a 'cuddly' breed? Carolina mentioned a Caique. The one BHC I've been in contact with was super cuddly and exhibited the Caique behavior of rolling on it's back in my hand for scritches. My conure was super cuddly and the one we have now is starting to exhibit cuddly behavior.

How true Dave. How many times have we heard that just on this forum alone? Tons of times. :)

But, there are exceptions to this like Talon (Penny), Luvparrots (Janet) and some other greys. I will say Dayo was my wifes cuddle muffin consistently from 6 weeks to about 2 yeas old. I believe many old time members here remember Dayo's terrible 2's. :P It started lessening in occurrences over the years and now it still happens, but rarely. He likes scratches fairly often but not for long sessions. Of course as everyone here knows I have ALWAYS been the bite king in regards Dayo until the last year or so. He has really changed in terms of allowing me to give him short scratch sessions as well.

Most the time, Dayo likes to just sit on or next to one of us and chill out or go over to his T-Stand and eat some seeds while watching TV or a Movie in the evenings. He has definitely become very independent.

But, I will always cherish this photo of our "baby" 1 year old Dayo:

0907060001.jpg

that is a super great pic did you teach dayo to lay on his back? i would think it was unnatural for a bird to be like that Ive tried w/marco but once on her back she wont let go of my fingers LOL and she gets mad until she flips back over ..

She is a cuddler but ONLY on HER time when she wants it and it really only happens when its dark I can handle her in the day and play with her all day long but NO NO scritches till evening. and the funniest thing is ... if I stop scratching her she makes a lil chirp chirp like to say HEY ?!? you aint done yet are you? so i'll scratch a lil more and stop and she'll chirp again and open an eye like to say ... you aint done lady my heads still down LOL. just cant get her on her back like that. she is 14mo old now and has been this way since I brought her home at 4mo

They are so adorable in that mode! Timber will make this little cheeping sound that I call his baby bird noise when he is ready for scratches (right before bed). He sits on my arm and puts his head down on my chest/stomach. After a bit I'll say "ready for night, night?" If he is he will sit up. If he isn't finished he will burrow his head deeper into my shirt.

that is a super great pic did you teach dayo to lay on his back?

Dayo started rolling on his back himself. In that photo he had grasped the blanket with his talons and just rolled in to that position. Many times when kim gives him scratches, he will at some point twist his head around and slowly start rolling over inch by inch until his talons are straight up and he just chills like that for a while. He still does this, but he rarely wants cuddles as in the photo anymore.

Guest Jocelyn

My boy is the stereotype, sigh... he loves people wants scritches on his terms, but is by no stretch of the word cuddly. But really he steps up and allows pats and that's pretty huge considering how he was when he got here...

I would say the vast majority of Greys are not cuddlers.

It's funny, even though Oscar won't even let me touch him yet (he was rescued from 8 bad years about 3 weeks ago) I suspect he has it in him to be a cuddle-bird. Only time will tell. I love him no matter what, which all of us seem to he saying. :)

Edited by MoonRock

Sophie is a complete snuggle muffin. "Pet my chin, now pet my neck!" She dictates my pets. She doesn't like her body petted, but when she gets herself in a unusual situation that requires my help to get her out of it,she knows I;m annoyed,,, " what are you doing?:" She will have to " drop" into my hands and trust me. She does. Nancy

Sophie is a complete snuggle muffin. "Pet my chin, now pet my neck!" She dictates my pets. She doesn't like her body petted, but when she gets herself in a unusual situation that requires my help to get her out of it,she knows I;m annoyed,,, " what are you doing?:" She will have to " drop" into my hands and trust me. She does. Nancy

Welcome back, was a little worried about you, I had no way to send a PM......Jayd