NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

He's on my hand.. so now what?

Tyson'sMom

In the Welcome board I posted about my new friend, Tyson the 8 year old CAG. He has been with me since Saturday (3 days). During that time I've been letting him get used to his new home and chatting with him through the cage bars.

Finally yesterday I decided to try getting him to perch on my hand, since the former owner said he's used to coming out of his cage every day. I put my hand in front of his feet and asked Tyson to step up. He mouthed my hand gently a few times, then stepped up on my hand with no trouble. I brought him slowly out of the cage; he showed no sign of being upset. So, I walked with him around the room, talked to him, and let him have a look around. Tyson made no attempt to flee, just sat calmly on my hand. I brought him to the window to watch the busy highway outside and he seemed interested in the motion outside. I then took Tyson back to his cage.

I'd like to bring Tyson out every day, but I'm not sure what to do with him! He has a play gym on top of his cage, but the cage is very tall and the former owner told me he doesn't like that play gym. Tyson's wings aren't clipped but I'm told he doesn't fly, preferring to walk on the floor. Should I just let him walk on the floor? (I have dogs and cats, but would shut them in another room while Tyson is out).

In the future allow Tyson to come out of his cage on his own and then ask for a step up, a lot of greys are protective of their cages and do not like the intrusion of hands inside, they view their cage as their safety zone so you might have been lucky this time.

One thing you might do that I do with my grey who is not clipped but doesn't fly, she spends some time on the top of her cage playing with some toys I have hung on the outside of her cage. She does spend some time on my shoulder or sitting nearby me as I watch tv or use the computer. She will also get down on the floor and go on walkabout or come over to me when she wants to be close by.

You might want to purchase a floor playstand, I have several that I use and they can be taken to different rooms, you can also make one yourself, just look thru the toys and playstands room for lots of ideas and suggestions.

Of course this is the honeymoon phase and is early in the relationship so be prepared for more of Tyson's true personality to come out but it sounds like you two are off to a great start.

I'm not that experienced but I can tell you what I do. I keep a playstand in the living room and have one in the basement. What I try to do is keep Timber with me, which is what he seems to want. When I go to the living room, he steps up and I take him with me and he steps off on the playstand. When I go to the basement, he steps up and goes with me to the perch I have down there. My goal with step up is to take him with me. He likes being wherever I am in the house. When I'm in the kitchen (my laptop is on the counter and I spend a lot of time here) I will let him sit on my arm while I am sitting at the counter. If we are in the dining room, I roll the playstand in there, get Timber, and put him on the stand in there. In my experience, they just want to share your life and wherever it takes you in the house. They like being in the center of things unless you have something hectic going on.

My parrots are flighted and yes, they do love to be with their parronts. I have boings and hanging perches throughout my home for my birdies to light on. Whatever you do, make sure that you are consistent in where you want your grey to be as they do like routine. So many times people are so excited to have their new friend finally with them that they want their grey with them all the time and then slow down on the time spent with their grey as the newness wears off. This is confusing to the grey so be consistent and talk to your grey. They so want to understand their new parront and to comply.

Re letting Tyson come out of his cage on his own, the previous owner warned me in strongest terms never to do this. She said it would make Tyson think he's the boss. I guess different people have their own opinions on this subject. I am guessing Tyson is used to having people reach into his cage and bring him out. I didn't get the impression he was scared or upset when I reached in. I am willing to do it either way as long as there's no harm to Tyson.

Tyson's cage is in the middle of the living room and that's where I spend 90% of my time. We can see each other for most of the day. When he whistles and speaks, I reply to him, sometimes I approach his cage. He makes the wolf whistle whenever I walk by his cage, so I guess this is the "word" he has assigned to me. When the dog or cat approach his cage, he belches. To me he seems happy so far - he is eating and drinking, climbing and swinging around his cage playing with his toys, and chattering away. Every day he says new words or makes new noises. I am guessing Tyson likes having company in the room, but I'd like him to have out of cage time too. I will buy him a playstand, and I also have a shower perch for him to use in future once he's settled in here.

That is interesting. I have to say I've never heard that before, others here may be familiar with that kind of training. If you are in the room with him most of the time, I suppose the thing to do would be to take him out of the cage and have him step on to the exterior of the cage for part of his out of cage time. Timber spends a good part of his out of cage time on the outside of his cage. He hangs from the door (bat style), hangs on the back and flaps his wings, explores the bottom (of the exterior) and plays with toys from the outside (things hanging on the inside). There is a perch on top of his cage but he doesn't use it that much. He is more inclined to perch on the door when he wants to take a break. I've hung a bell and rotate a couple other toys on the outside of the cage. Oddly though, toys that don't interest him inside the cage become fascinating to him when he can reach them from the outside.

I'm guessing Tyson will have another "word" for you as time goes by. Timber calls me "Jamie" (not my name) and others have similar stories with rehomed birds. It is a great adventure :)

My two greys also will step up from inside their cage for me. I joined this forum before getting my first grey and when I heard that greys are cage territorial, I was determined that I would have none of that so I always have gone into their cages from the beginning. They came home to me right after weaning so they did not have any habits I couldn't work on at that time. That's what is great about knowing where your grey came from and having the opportunity to see what your grey's habits and routine was/is. Kudos for you for learning what you could.

I just plan on taking Tyson out of the cage because I think there are enough advantages to justify this. For instance, I can put my hands in his cage for maintenance and not worry about being bitten. I don't think it really has to do with being "the boss". I've never considered training parrots as bossing them around, like you might do with certain "alpha" dogs. I'd rather learn to relate with my parrot as an equal and a flock member by learning what the parrot reacts positively to.

Tonight I had another learning experience. It seems Tyson is accustomed to riding on shoulders! I had taken him out and was talking to him on my hand, and walking around the apartment with him. He seemed quite at ease, he ground his bill a few times and then lowered his head to be scratched. But right after I scratched him, Tyson ran up my arm and onto my shoulder. I was rather nervous at first but he made no sounds and didn't try to nibble anything. When I put my hand up there to get him down, he lowered his head for scratches again. I let him stay up there for a few minutes, but then I tipped him off into his cage. I don't have a problem with a trustworthy bird riding on my shoulder, but I barely know Tyson and I'd rather get to know him better before I let him back up there again.

I don't have a problem with a trustworthy bird riding on my shoulder' date=' but I barely know Tyson and I'd rather get to know him better before I let him back up there again.[/quote']

Perfect. He might prove himself one day to be a shoulder bird, but right now you're right. You can't read his body language when he's there, and you don't know him or what startles him, or how he reacts when he is scared. Sounds like things are going great. Just beware of what we call the "honeymoon period". Don't be surprised or hurt if he regresses a bit. BTW, does Tyson have big loud bell in his cage? Haven't heard about a grey yet that doesn't love a good bell they can beat up and use to summon their flock.