NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quick but healthful weight gain necessary- advice needed!

MoonRock

Oscar will be seeing the veterinarian soon, but in the meantime I would really like to get some information about good foods to feed Oscar to help him to gain weight fairly quickly but healthfully. The poor little guy is not even a pound. The bird store/ groomer I went to today suggested high-protein foods, as well as regular pellets and plenty of peanuts (well, about three a day). Oscar already enjoys the bird "granola" mix I got him today. He's not a very picky eater, so anything anyone suggests that would be safe, I will likely try. He loves bananas, so that's good. And his favorite nut? Cashews. Haha!

Hi, please feed your Oscar a normal and varied diet, not some high fat/protein diet which will limit what your fid requires. Oscar should have only a small piece of fruit a day, no extra sugar. To much sugar makes there poop to watery providing no nutrients and filling yhem to the point of not eating what they need. Any thing from 400 plus grams up can be normal for a grey.....Grey's are prone to high cholesterol.

Oscar will be seeing the veterinarian soon, but in the meantime I would really like to get some information about good foods to feed Oscar to help him to gain weight fairly quickly but healthfully. The poor little guy is not even a pound. The bird store/ groomer I went to today suggested high-protein foods, as well as regular pellets and plenty of peanuts (well, about three a day). Oscar already enjoys the bird "granola" mix I got him today. He's not a very picky eater, so anything anyone suggests that would be safe, I will likely try. He loves bananas, so that's good. And his favorite nut? Cashews. Haha!

Greys don't gain weight quickly no matter what you feed them. It's a slow process and weight gain may never happen if the catagory of the bird's size is known.

Small--Medium--Large --sized birds. You never said how much your bird weighs right now. Approx 395 pounds is a small grey. Aprox 410 to 450 is medium. Apprx 485 to 565 is large.

1 Pound = 454 Grams