NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

concerned about flying

CharlieLaw

We bought a 16 month old Timneh Grey yesterday as the owners are separating and haven't got the time for him. We noticed his tail feathers looked a bit raggy and not in very good condition. The owner said it was to do with him climbing about in his cage. We had him out at the owners house and did notice he seemed to be struggling to fly and get much height, then he would just crash. Was told this was because he hadn't been out much and that he hadn't had his wings clipped at all. Having had him out today at our house he took of to fly and crashed quite heavily against the piano. Worried this little chap is going to do himself some serious injury. Anyone have ideas why he could be struggling to fly?

This means that he was never truly allowed to fledge when young and learn to fly with grace and skill. Having been caged mostg of his 16 months, he has not developed strong wing and breast muscles YET to generated the lift he needs. This will jsut take time to learn. With more practice be shorter and intentional flights sby him to reach a t stand, counter top, furniture or you he will improve immensely. It si wonderful that he has landed in your home where he truly can "Get his wings" and be one with his new flock. Just a caution, until he learns what windows and mirrors are. Please keep blinds, curtains and mirrors closed or cover to avoid a hard crash in to them.

Great advice Dan. My 3 parrots all were clipped when I got them. One was clipped all her life and never allowed to fly. Seeing as I am very much against clipping, once their feathers grew out enough to fly, we worked with them as Dan says, they never had the chance for their muscles to develop enough to use them in flying.

My youngest son taught Our amazon how to fly, he would hold her on his arm and would gently run from one side of the room to the other in a straight line heading towards the couch and yell fly!!!! She would love it, and at first just stay on his arm, once she crane confident in what he was doing, he would drop his arm part way and she would have to try and fly a bit and would crash land at first o to the couch. Over time, she got stronger and more confident and it was longer flights and better landings. Now she loves flying and is very good at it.

Hello CharlieLaw.Your Timneh is young enough to get his wings. Does he have a name?

Misty was adopted by me at two years old. He was clipped in the worst way with asymmetrical clipping. He could not fly at all and I assume he had not for most of his life, if ever. The only good thing about it was when he attempted to fly and landed on the carpeted floor with a bit of a bump he quickly accepted me as a friend who would help him up.

It took a long time for his flights to regrow and I helped him fly by launching him to soft landing places with the words "Fly" or "Fly Misty". Now around seven years later

he is a very competent flyer yet often when he takes off he still says "Fly Misty" or "Misty Fly" .

It will take care and patience and time but your Timneh will become a flyer. It might be a good idea to compare his wings with those of a flighted Grey to confirm that his flights are present. Some breeders have the horrible practice of clipping young birds before they are adopted and if it is a severe clip it will take a long time for the flights to come back. His former keepers may not even have realised he had been clipped. It seems obvious that they had little idea of a Greys needs. They should be given as much out of cage time as is practical. They will get no exercise in a cage and exercise is essential for their good health. A good diet is vital for good feather growth so check the diet forum here http://www.greyforums.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?6-Bird-Food for useful advice.

Steve n Misty

Thank you everyone for your advice,was quite concerned about the flying ability. Really crashes hard into objects and worried he'll hurt himself. Will take on board everyone's advice about trying to teach him gradually to fly. Does anyone think I should take him to the vets and get him checked out? His name is Sidney, but we are beginning to think he may be a female. Partly because he seems smaller than my Charlie was and he isn't talking yet. Sidney has soon settled in and made himself at home.

Edited by CharlieLaw

Hello CharlieLaw. You should definitely take Sidney to a vet . Sidney is probably fine but a check up could reveal any health problems that might need addressing and maybe put your mind at rest. The vet could also do a DNA sex check if that is important to you. A DNA check or an invasive cloacal examination are the only sure way with Greys.

Steve n Misty

We had to teach our grey to fly again. He still just does short flights around the house but we started out just a few feet apart. Hubby would hold him and i would call him with a whistle that we decided would work for him if he should ever get out. Its kind of funny now, we still do the whistle, but we noticed that would walk back and forth on his stand until he pooped, then he would fly to me. So now i whistle his call, then say poop-fly, followed by the whistle again. If i ever have to look for him outside, i will sound like an idiot!

It was harder to help our macaw gain his strength back, but it is working. He chewed all his long wing feathers off, nervous habit he has. We know he can't fly so felt safe taking him outside, holding his feet we would run around the yard letting him just flap away.

http://s1296.beta.photobucket.com/user/murfchck/media/VIDEO0047_zpsab555b1b.mp4.html