NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting attacks

chelsearv

Fred seems to have settled in with us pretty well. He's an adult 13 year old TAG and he's been with us for 5 days. He confidently explores his old cage and new cage, eats everything and is even playing with some of the new toys. However, a few incidents happened recently that have demonstrated we need some help.

He does not like to come off his cage and he doesn't desperately want to hang out with us. That's fine. However, he does occasionally indicate he wants to move with us from room to room, so we ask him to step up and we take him to a perch in a different room. So far so good...

He jumped onto my shoulder the other day and I didn't want him there. My boyfriend, Brian, tried to get him to step up so we could remove him and Fred bit him really hard - blood, big cut, the whole 9 yards.

We understand Fred may have been guarding me and we know we should have attempted to remove him some other way (not sure how).

Today he flew from his perch onto Brian's chair, climbed onto his shoulder and then hung out for a few minutes. Suddenly, he grabbed onto his ear and wouldn't let go. He only released his ear when Brian gently shook his shoulder while leaning toward his play stand. Alright, that was traumatic...

We wanted to put him back in his cage for a short timeout, but his body language indicated he would have refused the step up command and would have bitten us. We left him alone.

A few moments later, he again flew to the chair, which prompted Brian to stand up. Fred then started talking and lifting his foot, a clear sign he wanted to step up. He gladly stepped up onto Brian, who began to carry him toward his cage. As soon as he leaned over to put him in his cage, Fred started viciously biting - several hard, unrelenting bites. He wouldn't get off Brian's hand and he wouldn't stopped biting.

Brian's hand it all torn up. I don't know what to do - I am now scared to request the step up if it is going to result in an attack. We know he comes with an inclination toward females, but he willing went to Brian today, twice. In retrospect, it almost seems malicious.

I want to offer him to option to be with us in other rooms, but I don't fully understand how to manage this behavior. We have done a few step up training sessions with a clicker and his favorite food - the sessions were quite successful. But when he doesn't want to come, he bites and we then respond by letting him do whatever he was doing (thereby enabling and encouraging the biting).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well a couple of things come to mind. Fred is 13 years old with a lot of history and fairly set in his ways. Only have been in your home for 5 days is pretty much nothing in terms of being 13 years old. You have not even begun to see his true personality and developed any true trust and relationship levels with him at all. Allowing any bird you do not have a good understanding of their behavior on a shoulder is not recommended at all. They could do very serious and crippling damage to ear, face neck and eye. Do not allow him on your shoulders at all for now and maybe never based on this behavior. In regards getting bitten savagely when trying to return him to the cage was another mistake. He did not obviously want to go back and thus the bites received. I can only assume he is clipped or he wold have just flown off when he realized he as going to be caged. Thus to stop that, he bit. I would recommend using a perch for a step up if your gong to return him to his cage. You can also try having a favorite snack like a nut or a bowl with favorite fruit in it to make him wish to go in for that special food item. I really recommend slowing down on the up close and personal interaction until he has settled in and some level of trust is built. Otherwise this is going to continue to spiral downwards to where you will not trust him and vise-verse. Many older greys prefer just sitting in a room on a perch, your leg or lap and preening or watching the activities you are in. They are normally not cuddle muffins most the time.

Since he prefers women over men. Taking him bcak to the cage may be easier and MAYBE bite free if you are the one he gravitates to. He could not only dislike your BF, but also view him as separating your BF from you. Also, if it is evening time, turning lights off so it is dark normally will help in returning tot he cage. They do not see well in the dark and will feel more willing to just go along for the ride assuming you know where your going.

One thougth on that ear bite as well, Fred may have done that out of spite becase he wanted you, not your BF. If this whole preference for women is true. Your BF is the second and unappreciated person in that home. Let fred wander over to him on his terms and comfort level, not your BF wanting to get close to him's desire.

My wife has been our grey dayo's love muffin since he was 14 weeks old. She could and can do anything with him. Now years later, i still receive bits now and then, but I am able to cage him on my own. My wife was the only that could return him to the cage bite free.

Edited by danmcq

Well, sounds like your new buddy has some baggage. Right now it's important to safeguard yourselves while not breaking Fred's trust. If he gets shoulder access from the back of the chair, try making the chair inaccessible. Tie a "scary" stuffed animal onto it so that he won't land there. Try wearing something oversized around the house when he's out. That way if he does manage to get onto your shoulder you can pull the fabric down, or pull it off all together. A top with a hood would protect your ear. Make sudden movements, a sort of 'birdy detachment dance'. (You might want to lower the blinds, & make sure no one has a video camera running lol). The idea is to immediately make your shoulder an unstable, and therefore undesirable, landing spot. When he flies off praise him like heck so he thinks it was his idea :P Try using a perch for step-up. If you have to use your body, use your arm instead of your hand. Make a fist with your thumb inside, and bend it down so that the skin is tight across the back of your hand. It will make it hard for him to grab onto any skin. I'm really sorry for the bites you and yours have taken, but it will get better. The tough thing about dealing with such an intelligent animal is that you have to out-smart them. The good thing is that they can learn quickly if the lessons are consistent.

Thank you for the advice. We've created a barrier to the office chair that he likes to attack and have eliminated shoulder rights. Fred has had quite the turnaround since his first chaotic week. He's been with us for nearly two weeks now and he's pulling out all the stops. He's so confident and smart that I feel like I stole him from the circus. (We adopted him from a home that wanted him to have more attention and we didn't pay anything.) Despite his history of lack of attention, lack of toys (he was only ever given a dog rope toy), poor nutrition (only fed sunflower seeds) and lack of training, he is really quite an amazing bird (which he hid from us until recently).

He is so adventurous!

---He tastes anything I offer him - I had no trouble switching him to a pellet diet supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies.

---He plays with the toys I make (what a compliment to me!) - he destroys, he rings the bell, he throws things.

---He DANCES - bobbing his head, swinging his neck around in the most painful-looking way possible, shifting his weight and sidestepping.

---He has been open minded about clicker training - he steps up a large percentage of the time and is starting to understand the target stick.

---He talks with COMMUNICATION in mind - he says 'good morning' in the mornings, 'come here' when he wants us to come to him, 'step up' if he wants us to offer a finger and he laughs, makes farting/burping sounds, and does his own version of singing all for the sake of our joyful reaction.

He doesn't really enjoy Brian yet but we're working on it. Brian's hands need to heal first because they're a mess from the previous incident. He is getting involved very slowly - offering favorite foods and visiting for very brief, non-threatening periods of time.

Fred rubbed his head and neck on my hand yesterday. I didn't move, my heart started racing and I thought he was going to take a chunk out of me. But he didn't. He just gave back to me. I never would have thought he would be so generous with his trust so fast and so loving about it.

To anyone else considering an adult bird - please be open minded. Babies must be wonderful as well, but there is something very special about opening up your life to an adult creature that accepts you into HIS flock. I feel very lucky to have Fred. Pictures & videos will be posted soon.

What a wonderful update! Fred is really blossoming in your loving home. He sounds like sounds like a real diamond in the rough and is enjoying himself. His verbal requests are heartwarming to hear he is requesting your presence. :) I hope to hear more updates and see some photos and videos when you get a chance.