NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi, new bird mom here!

Today I just brought Tyson home. He's a rehomed 8 year old DNA male Grey. I am at least his third owner. The (breeder) I bought him from told me he has learned a lot of noises and words in a foreign language (she thinks Arabic) from prior owners. Tyson has a bit of a plucking problem as well, he has a bald patch on his neck and upper chest. Since he's been here I've noticed a few feathers on the bottom of his cage. Breeder says she thinks it's because nobody so far has had enough time to spend with Tyson.

I don't work outside my home and have plenty of time to spend with Tyson, but I'm not all that experienced. I had budgies as a child, then in my twenties I had a TAG who I think was wild-caught. I've been doing a LOT of homework here and on other sites. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions.

Tyson seems to be doing ok so far here. He does not move away or growl when I approach his cage, in fact his favourite thiing is to belch "Urrrrp-ahh!" I had to laugh watching him go to the bottom of the cage to burp at the cat and dog when they came to check him out! Tyson loves to make noises back and forth with me, whistles and words and clicks. But, if I leave the room for a few minutes, the huge telephone rings! I guess he wants me to answer him - but I don't want to encourage this loud noise!

I tried to pick Tyler up on my hand but he was having none of it. He just stood there and wouldn't move, even when I pushed gently on his lower belly. I have to admit that when the beak came down I jerked my hand back because I was nervous. I will have to try again tomorrow and not worry if he's going to bite.

So hopefully having more time with me will give Tyson a happier home! Right now he is eating and drinking and obviously settling down.

Welcome! Sounds like your off to a wonderful start! Just try not to push him too much for the step up, it could cause a few steps bacwards if he is not ready. I have 2 rehomed greys (6 yr and 20 yr old) and they are a handful, but worth every minute! Each day brings new discoveries as you will soon find out. Thank you for rehoming and letting a grey into your heart!

Welcome to the forum. The belch sounds and story of it being used towards the dogs is hilarious. The first day in your home sound like a ton of interaction for such a short time period. Maybe try to slow it down a little and let Tyson settle in and become accustomed to the new home, people and dogs. I am actually shocked you did not come back with a bleeding bite from trying to get a step the first day home. :)

Just go slow and easy to build trust with Tyson. I would worry about plucking issues later once he is settled in. You never know, it may stop if he has landed in a loving and patient home he starts feeling safe and happy in.I look forward to updates. :)

Following up on what Dan said, when I first brought Timber home (like the first two days) he would step up. After that, he wouldn't step up for a couple of months. That is referred to as the "honeymoon" period. Don't be discouraged if he starts refusing to step up. He'll come around in time. As Dan said, slower is better and patience wins the day!

Welcome to the forum. The belch sounds and story of it being used towards the dogs is hilarious. The first day in your home sound like a ton of interaction for such a short time period. Maybe try to slow it down a little and let Tyson settle in and become accustomed to the new home, people and dogs. I am actually shocked you did not come back with a bleeding bite from trying to get a step the first day home. :)

Just go slow and easy to build trust with Tyson. I would worry about plucking issues later once he is settled in. You never know, it may stop if he has landed in a loving and patient home he starts feeling safe and happy in.I look forward to updates. :)

Actually it's a lot quieter here than Tyson's old home, which had dogs, other birds, and small children poking their fingers through the bars of his cage! The former owner was the one who suggested that I try picking him up after a few hours, she seemed to think he'd be lonely if I didn't. I get the impression he was a "family" bird and was used to a lot of interaction in a busy household. I live alone with my cats and dogs, and have very few if any visitors.

My own animals are curious but not pushy. After Tyson first arrived the two cats took turns checking out the bird, but once they'd seen what was in the cage they lost interest. My Chihuahua walked around the cage on her hind legs, but she was quiet. In fact Tyson made all the noise, he climbed down to take a closer look, then belched a couple of times. My other dog seems to be afraid of Tyson and stays away.

Today I have been restricting my contact with Tyson to vocalizations. I let him start, he usually starts with a kiss noise or a wolf whistle, then phrases like "Hello" (in both male and female voices) and "Peekaboo!" in a child's voice. He says other things I can't make out. Tyson seems to really enjoy these vocal exchanges. Sometimes I will approach his cage to talk to him, and he will climb up on the bars in front of me. I guess this means he's not afraid to be close to me.

So, how do I tell when it's time to try taking Tyson out of his cage? In general, how can I tell he's beginning to trust me?

That sound like wonderful interaction and inquisitiveness on Tyson's part in his new home. :)

Is he flighted? I would just enjoy vocalizing with him and making him feel at hoem as possible for now. See how offering a favorite nut for example is received by him in the cage. The action of him coming to the front of the cage when you are standing there could be friendly and it could also be defensive. Many greys are defensive of their cages which is their safe place and home. If he is not flighted, you could open the cage door in a few days IF you believe you will be able to get him back in the cage. One thing with the cats though, they are sight driven and you must watch very closely if you see Tyson's movement being tracked by them. Also, when you do open the cage and let him out, make ceratin windows blinds etc. are closed so he will not accidently fly into them. If birds with clipped wings are many times capable of of flapping and flying 15 to 20 feet sometimes and can harm themselves unintentionally.

Thank you for re-homing this fid. like Dan said, coming to the front of his cage could be defensive, it was with my Dorian when I first re-homed him. Take a look at the body language sticky in the training room. It will give you the broad strokes, although each bird has their unique twists on standard behaviours. I wonder if Tyson is a plucker because he's been overstimulated in his former home. Who knows, your quieter home with one on one time may be just what he needs. Just be patient and keep reading and asking questions here. <3