NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gracie Beaking

JeffNOK

A few weeks ago I started a thread about Gracie starting to regurgitate sometimes when I am close to her. About the same time, she started to nip at me when I leaned down to give her a beak kiss. I don't know if this is related, or if she is just being ornery. When I first got Gracie, she did nip me occassionally when she didn't want to step up. That stopped completely, and she never bites or uses her beak in that way anymore. Now she only seems to nip at my lips. She never bites down or hurts me--but she reaches out and quickly but gently grazes my skin--she does that to my cheek too--never hands or fingers. When I read luvparrots' post about Sterling Gris and Ana Grey beaking each other, it reminded me of this new behavior of Gracie's. Do you think this is what she is doing? Might it be related to the regurg thing? Now whenever I kiss Gracie I always say "no bite" first, and she usually doesn't though she looks like she really wants to and sometimes can't resist.

Your correct, it's related to her caring for you, empathy. May I interject, please don't get upset, please don't get you lips anywhere near her lips, you can transfer disease back and forth, and some can kill our parrots rather quickly. To kiss, you beak to nose......

Oh I agree==I don't kiss her with my lips--i use my nose like suggested and just make a kissing sound--but my lips are just a couple of inches south and she goes for them. I would never want to harm Gracie in any way.

We all know your love and know in our hearts you'd never hurt....Bless you.....

Gracie loves you very much Jeff. :)

As Janet said, the beaking is normal behavior to a parrot in that upclose interaction. Dayo has done that to his love muffin, my wife since day one home. However, I wol dlike to caution you, as you already seem to be careful and aware. At around 18 - 24 months old, dayo would occasionally nip her cheek or lip too hard. Not out of anger, just too hard. It seems close to the same you are experiencing. My wife avoids those accidents by not getting her face that close to dayo when he is staring the regurging and and friendly activity. She just praises him and once he calms down a little, then she will get face closer and nuzzle him. :)

We were just having a discussion yesterday about "biting." I'm assuming there are times when they don't realize how painful their bites are for us? It is pretty obvious when they bite in fear or anger (I've received both). But when we are interacting, Timber likes to put my finger in his beak and run it back and forth. Then he will rub his beak around on my hand and "nibble" for lack of a better word. A couple of times, he has bitten me (not bad but uncomfortable) and I'm assuming it was not intended to hurt me, but was unintentionally hard. Maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt, but his body language and actions just weren't the same as when he is really "trying" to bite me. Is that correct?

A couple of times, he has bitten me (not bad but uncomfortable) and I'm assuming it was not intended to hurt me, but was unintentionally hard. Maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt, but his body language and actions just weren't the same as when he is really "trying" to bite me. Is that correct?

It sounds like he does not know you are uncomfortable with the amount of pressure being applied. Dayo does this sometimes as well to me. I can take more pressure than my wife for example, but when it is verging on the point of true pain. I will tell him "Thats too Hard and pull my hand or finger away and then place it right back to him. He will then grasp it lighter and not painful. I will then tell him "Thats Better, your so smart! Thank You!". Also, sometimes while he is beaking too hard, I will not pull my hand away and just say "Thats Too Hard" as I look at him. He will look at me and lighten up to the acceptable level.

With out proper feedback from us, they have no clue what is too hard and what is acceptable. When parrots interact with one another beaking, instant feedback is provided by the grey that gets too much of a clamp down then responds with a quick head turn and pecks the other. In my opinion, we need to follow this as a guideline.