NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello From Fort Worth Texas

At 44 years old, I am finally seeing my dream of sharing my life with an African Grey become a reality.

My daughters are grown and living their respective lives, my hard work has finally begun to pay off so that I will be working only part time from home within the next couple of months, and I am in a place where I have the time, patience, calm and settled life that I feel will be conducive to making a great home for such an intelligent creature.

I bring my boy Loki home this coming Friday. I am a NERVOUS WRECK!!!

I've visited with he and his clutch mates many many times since the breeder brought them in for hand feeding, and have really gotten attached to all of them, especially Loki and one of his sisters in particular.

I can't believe how emotional I was last night when I was over there playing with the two of them and realizing that I only have a few more visits with the female then she will be off to her new home, as Loki is home with me. These birds grab hold of your heart so completely!!

Anyhow, I wanted to introduce myself and Loki as well. I am hoping to lean on everyone here for support and knowledge as I go alone, as I feel SO unprepared to be a new mommy again!! I have had smaller birds throughout my life, the most recent was my Quaker who passed away three, almost four years ago now.

I just don't want to do anything to screw my boy up!!! Gah, I feel like I did when I brought my first daughter home. I remember thinking "OMG, they are just going to let me LEAVE with this baby???? Do they not understand that I have NO IDEA what I'm doing?????" hehe.

Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I am new to forums etc, so I hope I did all of this correctly, including adding Lokis picture)

Loki 02112013.jpg

Welcome to you and Loki! It's GreYt having you here and thanks for the photo of Loki, nice looking baby grey. :)

Based on your description of being overwhelmed of having that baby grey at your home and being responsible for her means your going to be a wonderful parront. Everyone here is more than capable of answering your questions as you go. I look forward to hearing more from you. WE love watching these greys grow up and hearing of their progress and antics. We also love photos and videos. :)

What a pretty baby! :) Welcome to you and to Loki. I love the name by the way and I'll bet you will find it is apt. Isn't Loki the god of mischief? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing about your progress. The only grey I have experience with is my 5 year old rehomed TAG, so the baby stories fascinate me.

At 44 years old, I am finally seeing my dream of sharing my life with an African Grey become a reality.

My daughters are grown and living their respective lives, my hard work has finally begun to pay off so that I will be working only part time from home within the next couple of months, and I am in a place where I have the time, patience, calm and settled life that I feel will be conducive to making a great home for such an intelligent creature.

I bring my boy Loki home this coming Friday. I am a NERVOUS WRECK!!!

I've visited with he and his clutch mates many many times since the breeder brought them in for hand feeding, and have really gotten attached to all of them, especially Loki and one of his sisters in particular.

I can't believe how emotional I was last night when I was over there playing with the two of them and realizing that I only have a few more visits with the female then she will be off to her new home, as Loki is home with me. These birds grab hold of your heart so completely!!

Anyhow, I wanted to introduce myself and Loki as well. I am hoping to lean on everyone here for support and knowledge as I go alone, as I feel SO unprepared to be a new mommy again!! I have had smaller birds throughout my life, the most recent was my Quaker who passed away three, almost four years ago now.

I just don't want to do anything to screw my boy up!!! Gah, I feel like I did when I brought my first daughter home. I remember thinking "OMG, they are just going to let me LEAVE with this baby???? Do they not understand that I have NO IDEA what I'm doing?????" hehe.

Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I am new to forums etc, so I hope I did all of this correctly, including adding Lokis picture)

Lean away and have fun doing it. A little tip--go down to our Nursery section. You'll see loads of things that'll make your transition easier.

Thank you so much everyone. I have been reading around on here for months now and have been pouring back over everything for hours today haha!! I appreciate the support and welcome. I can't even imagine how my little mischief maker is going to change my life and household!!!!

Kia Ora CheckTheBarn,

I'm a nervous beginner too....Morpheus is coming early next month. We can keep an eye on each other's progress! Everyone here are genuinely friendly, compassionate and knowledgeable people...... so helpful and insightful. I love it, I know you will too.

Welcome to you and Loki! You will be a wonderful parront! When i got my first grey, i searched the internet over looking for answers, then i found this forum. 5 wonderful fiddos later, I never looked back to anywhere else and have never left here. Everyone is wonderful and oh so helpful. There is never a silly question, so ask away. I am also just a stones throw away from you. North Richland Hills!

Hello Checkthebarn and welcome to our family.

It sounds like you are going to do fine, its not like you don't have any experience with birds having had some before but a grey is different from others and your life is about to change forever but in a good way. You have already been reading thru the threads so you know some of what to expect and we are here for you if you have any questions so relax and enjoy his homecoming.

Loki is adorable, thanks for sharing a picture of him.

Welcome to you and Loki! You will be a wonderful parront! When i got my first grey, i searched the internet over looking for answers, then i found this forum. 5 wonderful fiddos later, I never looked back to anywhere else and have never left here. Everyone is wonderful and oh so helpful. There is never a silly question, so ask away. I am also just a stones throw away from you. North Richland Hills!

Murfchck, I just moved from a duplex in Richland Hills to a house in Pantego in Arlington!! We were literally neighbors haha. That is fantastic news

I figured you either lived in Ft. Worth or Mineral Wells or maybe even Weatherford. I was hoping you lived in Allen - HAAAA - we need someone to trade pet/bird sitting duties for trips. Our pack/flock is getting big enough we can't take everyone anymore.

That pic kind of looks like 'Dixie' to me - looks like you are getting a really sweet boy there. I noticed when we were there he has quite a bit bulkier head than the two females.

I figured you either lived in Ft. Worth or Mineral Wells or maybe even Weatherford. I was hoping you lived in Allen - HAAAA - we need someone to trade pet/bird sitting duties for trips. Our pack/flock is getting big enough we can't take everyone anymore.

That pic kind of looks like 'Dixie' to me - looks like you are getting a really sweet boy there. I noticed when we were there he has quite a bit bulkier head than the two females.

Yes, the angle of that pic does make him look more Dixie-like, doesn't it?? Because he is a whole lot bulkier than the two ladies, for sure. I weighed them Tuesday night when I was there and he was 540, Dixie was like four sixty something and Mystery was a little bit heavier than that I think? I've slept since then, so I can't remember any of them for sure except for my Lug Head!!

Welcome! I was 44 when I brought my grey home last year. I didn't feel prepared either, but I learned so much here and got answers and support when I needed it. My CAG and I are still alive and well and very happy. You will do fine and we are all here for you and each other.

Edited by JeffNOK