NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleaning agents

Nitzey

I mop the floor around Caesar frequently (guess why?). The floor is ceramic tile and I use Pinesol, which is sort of organic but contains some mild mannered surfactants (alkyl alcohol ethoxylates for those of you chemically inclined). It has a lemon scent too. The question is: might the fumes be harmful in any way? I like the smell, but it is somewhat strong.

Birds/parrots have very sensitive lungs. When they breathe they almost completely empty their lungs so when they inhale they fill them full of whatever they are breathing in. Pine Sol, perfume, scented candles whatever, fill their lungs so if you think the smell is strong for you, think about what it is doing to your grey's/birds lungs. I use water and vinegar to clean my birdies' belongings.

I am a fan of Whole Food's Citrus All Purpose Cleaner. It does an amazing job of breaking down droppings quickly without any harmful ingredients. Besides cleaning the floor (and walls), I use it as a general wipe-down solution for cages and play stands. I'm sure there are comparable all-natural no-harmful product citrus cleaners out there.

For those times I want a disinfecting cleaner, I reach for Pet Focus. It's an excellent no-rinse-required disinfectant.

Many thanks for the helpful replies. We will henceforth use water, at least until I can research this further. Vinegar is essentially a dilute solution of acetic acid (white vinegar is 5% acetic acid). Acetic acid is volatile and irritating. Pinesol is, I think, a derivative of pine chemicals, such as exuded by pine trees, and airborne in pine forests. It also contains surfactants which are essentially nonvolatile. i.e. no odor.

I will research this further, and report back here if I find anything useful.

Again thanks for replies.

Many thanks for the helpful replies. We will henceforth use water, at least until I can research this further. Vinegar is essentially a dilute solution of acetic acid (white vinegar is 5% acetic acid). Acetic acid is volatile and irritating. Pinesol is, I think, a derivative of pine chemicals, such as exuded by pine trees, and airborne in pine forests. It also contains surfactants which are essentially nonvolatile. i.e. no odor.

I will research this further, and report back here if I find anything useful.

Again thanks for replies.

Thanks Nitzey, We have been using apple-cider vinegar, white vinegar and especially Organic Apple cider for almost 36 yr's. For safe cleaning and disinfecting, fill one spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide and one bottle of white vinegar, spray cage etc with either bottle and then the other, clean than spray off with white vinegar, not only cleaned but disinfected. There's many post and thread on this forum about vinegar, I've left you some links to start your research, the first link is to some 398,000 other links..The last link is to links explaining why pinesol is bad for our parrots.....Thanks Jayd

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=is+vinegar+good+for+parrots&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

http://vickipierce.hubpages.com/hub/Apple-Cider-Vinegar-and-Birds

http://www.naturalbird.com/mcwatters/acv_for_birds.htm

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=is+pinesol+harmful+to+parrots&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

Edited by Jayd

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of more things. I asked the Pinesol company and all they would say is the dried product is safe for all pets. One thing I have noticed is if a dilute solution of Pinesol is used and it sits for a day or two, there is almost no odor. I have checked the formulation (MSDS) and it is okay in my opinion.

So, we will continue to use it, but very carefully.

Oh, I missed the last point. Pinesol does not contain phenol which is toxic. Yes, terpenes are related to phenol, but they are not the same.

Main Site Index Avian DiseasesHazards Page 2 Hazards Page 5Hazards Page 3 Hazards Page 4DANGEROUS/DEADLY HOUSEHOLD POISONS:Ingested toxins:Nanday ConuresAmmoniaAntifreeze - tastes sweet, will kill anythingBathroom cleaners - like that foamy stuffBleachBoric acidCharcoal fluidCleanersCrayonsDentureDeodorantsDetergents - someDisinfectants - mostParakeetsDrain cleanersEpoxy glue - safe when completely dryFabric softenerFireworksFloor & furniture waxFloor polishFurniture polishGarden spraysGasolineGun cleanerGun powderHair DyesHerbicidesIndelible markersInsecticidesIodineKeroseneLighter fluidLinoleumMatchesMineral oilModel glueMoth ballsNail polishNail polish removerNicotine on the handsOven cleanerPaintPaint removerPaint thinnerPencilsPerfumePesticidesPine oil - such as Pine SolPlants - see list of toxic plantsPolyurethanePotpourriPrescription & non-prescription drugsRodent poisonsRubbing alcoholShaving creamShoe polishSilver polishDANGEROUS/DEADLY HOUSEHOLD POISONS:Inhaled AND Ingested toxins:Amazon ParrotAmmoniaCharcoal fluidDeodorantsDetergents - someDisinfectants - mostDrain cleanersFloor & furniture waxFloor polishFurniture polishGarden spraysGasolineGun cleanerGun powderHerbicidesSun ConuresInsecticidesKeroseneLighter fluidModel glueNicotine on the handsOven cleanerPaintPaint removerPaint thinnerPerfumePesticidesPine oil - such as Pine SolPolyurethanePotpourriSpot removerSpray starchSulfuric acidSuntan lotionToilet bowl cleanerTongue oilTurpentineVarnishWeed killerWindow cleanerWood preservativeGreenwing MacawIngested toxins: ContinuedSnail baitSpot removerSpray starchSulfuric acidSuntan lotionSuper glueToilet bowl cleanerTongue oilTurpentineVarnishWeed killerWindow cleanerWood preservativePrevious

Please feel free to use Pine sol or what ever you wish. There are so many safe products a person could use, I don't understand why anyone would want to even take a small risk. Have you ever held a parrot as it's dying because someone decided to take a chance and use something that he was warned might be harmful? I have, too many times, as well as a couple of our members. So please use or feed what ever you feel works for you..Jay

I'm sorry, I think you might want to read this, this is for a human, add all figures by 100. One of the deadly ingredients is the Alkyl alcohol ethoxylates. To all members, there are many really safe products to clean your birds mess with. Remember you still have to use soap with Pine sol to clean, Pine sol doesn't clean by itself.....Thank you Jayd

The Clorox Company

1221 Broadway

Oakland, CA 94612

Tel. (510) 271-7000

Material Safety

Data Sheet

I Product:

ORIGINAL PINE-SOL

BRAND CLEANER 1

Description:

CLEAR, AMBER, THIN LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC PINE ODOR

Other Designations Distributor

Emergency Telephone Nos.

EPA Reg. No. 5813-83

Clorox Sales Company

1221 Broadway

Oakland, CA 94612

For Medical Emergencies, call 1-800-446-1014.

For Transportation Emergencies, call

1-800-424-9300 (Chemtrec).

II Health Hazard Data III

Hazardous Ingredients

Causes substantial but temporary eye injury.

No medical conditions are known to be aggravated by exposure to this

product.

FIRST AID:

EYE CONTACT:

Hold eye open and rinse with water for 15-20 minutes.

Remove contact lenses, if present,

after first 5 minutes, then continue

rinsing eye. If irritation persists, call a doctor.

SKIN CONTACT:

Take off contaminated clot

hing. Rinse skin immediately

with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes.

If irritation develops, call a doctor.

INGESTION:

Call a poison control cent

er or doctor immediately for

treatment advice. Have person sip a glassf

ul of water if able to swallow. Do

not induce vomiting unless told to do so by

a poison control center or doctor.

Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.

INHALATION

: Remove to fresh air. If breathing is affected, call a doctor.

Ingredient

Concentration

Worker Exposure Limit

Pine oil 8 - 10% Not established.

CAS # 8002-09-3

Alkyl alcohol ethoxylates 3 - 7% Not established.

CAS # 127036-24-2

Isopropyl alcohol 1 - 5% 200 ppm - TLV-TWA

a

CAS #67-63-0 400 ppm - PEL

b

400 ppm - TLV-STEL

c

Sodium petroleum sulfonate 1 - 5% Not established.

CAS # 68608-26-4

a

TLV-TWA = ACGIH Threshold Limit

Value - Time Weighted Average

b

PEL = OSHA Permissible Exposure

Limit - Time Weighted Average

c

TLV-STEL = ACGIH Threshold Limit Va

lue - Short Term Exposure Limit

None of the materials in this product are on the IARC, OSHA, or NTP

carcinogen lists.

IV Special Protection and

Precautions V Transportation and Regulatory Data

Hygienic Practices

: Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling

and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, or using tobacco. Remove and

wash contaminated clothing before reuse.

Engineering Controls

: Use general ventilation or

local exhaust to minimize

exposure to vapor or mist.

Personal Protective Equipment

: Wear safety glasses. Wear rubber or

neoprene gloves if there is the potential for repeated or prolonged skin

contact. In situations where exposure limits may be exceeded, a NIOSH-

approved respirator is advised.

DOT

: Not restricted per 49 CFR 173.120(a)(3) and Appendix H.

IMDG

: Not restricted per IMDG Code Page 0016 Paragraph 5.1.3.1.1.

IATA

: Not restricted per IATA D.G.R. Sections 3.3.1.2 and 3.3.5.

EPA - SARA Title III/CERCLA

: This product is regulated under Sections

311/312. This product contains no

chemicals which are regulated under

Section 313 and contains benzoic acid (CAS #65-85-0, <1%) which is

regulated under Section 304/CERCLA.

VI Spill Procedures/Waste Disposal VII Reactivity Data

Spill Procedures

: Absorb and containerize. Wash residual down to sanitary

sewer. Contact the sanitary treatment facility in advance to assure ability to

process washed-down material.

Waste Disposal

: Dispose of in accordance with all applicable federal, state,

and local regulations.

Stable under normal use and storage conditions.

VIII Fire and Explosion Data IX Physical Data

Flash Point

: 121

°

F (Tag closed cup).

Fire Extinguishing Agents

: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide (CO

), foam, or

water spray.

pH......................................................................................................... 3.0 - 4.0

Specific gravity ............................................................................................~1.0

Solubility in water ............................................................................Appreciab

I just saw this on Facebook and thought I would print it here for reference. Any thoughts about this as I never thought about this being a problem.

Post by Marie Charon Crowley from someone who e-mailed her.

"We recently had a disaster in which 3 of our birds that we have owned since they were babies all died within 1 hour of one another due

to my cleaning our dishwasher with 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Our 4th bird was unaffected even though she was in the same room. I have found out(belatedly) that if vinegar is heated it can give off fumes which can kill a bird! Even my vet and my wife's sister, who has had birds for 30 years didn't know. We can never replace our blue and gold(Captain), but we now have a house full of empty cages and a huge hole in our hearts."

Fumes from heated vinegar will burn your eyes and your nose right off your face, so this is a great point to bring across about how harmful it could be to birds.

To remove dried poop and fruit from DJ's cage I use a mixture of water, 1 TBL of vinegar and 1 TBL of lemon juice in a spray bottle...it literally melts it all away.

They use Pine Sol to clean my office and I need to leave while it's being done the smell is overwhelming, not much better after it dries either. I get an instant headache. My bathroom is no where near DJ but when I clean it with bleach I have the door closed the entire time with the window open. I don't open the door again until the smell is gone.

I've heard horror stories about birds dying just from someone simply leaving an open bottle of rubbing alcohol in the same room as their bird...no chances taken here when it comes to any fumes at all.

I love my steam cleaner. It liquifies poops and makes them easy to wipe away. The concentrated nozzel blasts seeds out of crevices.The biggest pain is, of course, your bird can't be anywhere near it because of the heat, but there are no worries about fumes, well, other than the smell of cooked poop! lol I don't have a steam mop but I use the steam cleaner and brush to clean up floors when Dorian manages to avoid the papers I put down. I'd recommend a steam cleaner to any bird owner.

Myth Busted: The last few days I've done extensive research on vinegar. I researched the net, talked to people, called Heinz, called OSHA...Vinegar used at regular strength, diluted and/or with peroxide could possibly act as a lung irritant to people who have asthma or other breathing problems. Heated vinegar cannot cause death in animals unless what it was heated in had a contaminant. In the case of the birds dying and one living, the cause of death was contributed to some other factor...there could have been Teflon present in the coffeemaker, etc. Normal use of vinegar in non-contaminated circumstances is 100% safe but as with anything, you have to be cautious. Example: what was it heated in or stored in a contaminated container? I have been on a medicinal regiment prescribed by four different doctors for over four years which is to heat 8 ounces of water with one tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to 180 degrees and add one tablespoon of honey and sip. When it gets to 110 degrees or less, all our fids love to drink up to four tablespoons each. I received the same response from everyone; "It can be an irritant to some people's eyes and to those with breathing problems". Thank you Jayd

http://versatilevinegar.org/usesandtips.html This is just one of hundreds laying praise to vinegar for both birds and humans......