NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)—also known as C-8

Darkfifi29

I believe that PFOA is used in formulations for the manufacturing process to create various non-stick products, and isn't "in" the final product nor available to be out-gassed in a seriously over-heated pan.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the "what" as much as paying attention to proper use of pots and pans so it's not an issue for me or my pets.

I'm sorry, with me it's better to be safe then sorry, I refuse to use it or Teflon, Why? I held two of a friends Macaws while they died in my arms and he held the other 2, it was all over with in thirty minutes as we stood out side in fresh air to no avail. Accidents, mistakes, whatever can happen.......Nothing brings them back................

OMG what a nightmare story, my hair is standing on end.... :(((((((((

i've jettisoned the 2 coated pans in my cupboard. Luckily I have mostly old fashioned enamelware , so its not much to miss!

Can't thank you both enough for taking the time to give me this important information.

PTFE is the primary cause of avian death when a teflon pan is overheated, not PFOA. But, regardless of of the various chemicals coming off overheated teflon. It is a known fact it is deadly to our birds and all teflon as a safe guard should be tossed.

Taken from Green Health Watch-

Teflon gas the new DDT

Perfluoro-octanoic acid (PFOA), an ingredient of Teflon and also known as ‘C-8’, is a suspected carcinogen now found in humans, other animals and plants in the US, Europe and Asia. PFOA is very persistent. Released into the environment it looks as if it will take literally millions of years to biodegrade. The company ‘3M’ (which once manufactured PFOA) found that it took 4.4 years for just half of it to be excreted from workers’ bodies.

Where does it come from?

Some PFOA is released during the manufacture of Teflon, but it is thought that the majority is given off when pans and trays with Teflon coatings are heated to normal cooking temperatures and, of course, especially when allowed to overheat or burn dry in error. The average levels of PFOA (now found in 96% of Americans) are fivefold higher than can be attributed to releases from the chimneys of chemical company DuPont’s Teflon factories.

The latest DuPont studies show that Teflon emits toxic PFOA gas particulates at 446° Fahrenheit (F), but the lowest temperature linked to emissions by an independent study is 325°F.[1] (This was the temperature reached by an oven with a Teflon coating when baking biscuits.) In one case where this occurred, all the baby parrots in a cage in the owner’s kitchen died. DuPont does warn that fumes from cookware with teflon coating can be fatal for birds but, despite even its own evidence (see below), continues to deny that any emissions occur below temperatures well above those normally used for cooking. Dupont has also suggested that it is the fumes from the fat in highly-heated pans, rather than those from the Teflon coating itself, which are to blame for bird deaths. However, the biscuits which caused the parrots' deaths were being baked without oil.

PTFE is the primary cause of avian death when a teflon pan is overheated, not PFOA. But, regardless of of the various chemicals coming off overheated teflon. It is a known fact it is deadly to our birds and all teflon as a safe guard should be tossed.

Dan, thank you, Lately I seem to get my ABC's mixed up...[lol] Thanks for the "FYI"