NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I think I may HAVE to clip Oscar's wings :(

MoonRock

I think I may HAVE to clip Oscar's wings, much as I would strongly prefer not to. Oscar is only sighted in his left eye, and I worry about his depth perception upon being allowed to fly. Furthermore, his former owners indicated Oscar had a tendency to bump into things in an panic upon escaping his cage.

Now, granted, Oscar's former owners clearly didn't spend the time to socialize him and allow him to learn "adaptive flying" in spite of his disability. I am willing to put in the work necessary to teach a partially blind Grey to fly. But is this even possible? Would he be eaten in the wild, unable to fly? Google came up with nothing so I honestly don't know the answer.

I was thinking exactly this as well when I first read his wings were not clipped. Which of course makes sense because he was never out. But, being blind in one eye would make flight very dangerous. I am truly against wing clipping. But, this is a case where it would be wise to do so, as you state, to protect him from flying in to things. I personally would not even try to teach him to fly. Because when he must turn towards the blind side, he could be turning directly in to a wall for example. A wild bird blind in one eye would not live long in the wild.

I have to agree with Dan, I am against wing clipping unless it is absolutely necessary but this is one of those cases, Oscar would be more apt to fly into something and harm himself, maybe a light clip to keep him from gaining any height but able to glide down and not fall like a rock.

Clipping, With Dan and Judy I agree completely. Clipping and being blind, Id like to make a comment, not saying Yea or Nay nor going against Judy and Dan. We all know the wild and a captive home are not always the same. We have two one-eyed birds, a gray cheek and a Indian Ring-neck, both blind in one eye, both excellent flyer's. All parrots in a panic scenario fly erratic, in a controlled captive environment such as provided by MoonRock and Myself I feel plays is a important factor to success. Why do my parrots fly as if normal? I have no answer. Maybe it's development of other senses, maybe it's adapting by turning it's head at a angle? I can't answer, but it works for my guys. I would leave un-clipped and see what happens over time, on the other hand, I wouldn't condemn one who clipped, but I believe I would do a full clip, a flighted clip wouldn't be much different then no clip.

Thanks Jayd

I opted to have Oscar's wings clipped today- the "light" clip (the outermost four flight feathers, trimmed about halfway down). Jayd, I am pleased to hear that you have two different birds that have developed adaptive flying skills in spite of being partially blind. This is a goal I would like to have for Oscar. I think he would be absolutely thrilled to learn how to fly properly (and not into walls). However, for now (and, if I am being honest, probably for quite some time) I need to keep Oscar as safe as possible while we establish trust. Once we have a solid relationship, I can work on showing him how to adapt to his partial blindness. Interestingly, my roommate and two of my dear friends are blind, and I am also a special education teacher. So I tend to have a very optimistic view of what those with disabilities can ultimately do.