NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is plucking inevitable?

I'm bringing home our new baby in a week or so. Been reading and learning about greys for over 2 years...just wondering what your experiences are with plucking. I haven't yet read about anyone having a 20+ year old grey that doesn't pluck! What do you think the statistics are on this? I'm trying to plan ahead for avoiding situations which may trigger plucking, but is it just a matter of years before it begins? It seems so heartbreaking for owners to witness the destruction of plumage, and I'm sure it would sadden me, as well. If it's something very likely to happen someday, I just want to steel myself.

There are many 20+ year old greys out there that do not pluck. With proper care and a good home they will be fine. In the wild. There are tens or thousands of unplucked greys as well. It is unnatural for any bird to pluck. The human environment, diet and events are what can cause plucking. :)

Not every grey plucks but it depends on the circumstances they are raised in and how things happen in their flock, I do think some are more prone to develop a plucking habit no matter how they are treated by their family but please do not stress yourself out that your grey will pluck, they are very intune to our moods and feelings.

I'm bringing home our new baby in a week or so. Been reading and learning about greys for over 2 years...just wondering what your experiences are with plucking. I haven't yet read about anyone having a 20+ year old grey that doesn't pluck! What do you think the statistics are on this? I'm trying to plan ahead for avoiding situations which may trigger plucking, but is it just a matter of years before it begins? It seems so heartbreaking for owners to witness the destruction of plumage, and I'm sure it would sadden me, as well. If it's something very likely to happen someday, I just want to steel myself.

I really don't know what kinds of things you're reading but I'll tell you that if a person decides to get a grey of approx that age who hasn't ever been a plucker, then I doubt very much that no matter what the future of the bird is, the one thing that won't happen is plucking. The statistics are just that----a non plucking older bird won't become a plucker unless the bird is physically abused or intentionally injured.