NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oscar's training journal

MoonRock

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you and Oscar have established a good relational foundation and communicate with each other quite well. As you have noted, Oscar does communicate volumes through his body language and sounds. Yes, some greys have large human word vocabularies, but even they display their feelings, moods, emotions, wants and other desires through body language and sounds as well much better than through human words. You can see what they are thinking instantaneously through their body language. I look forward to seeing that video of Oscars "I'm a little teapot"/ hula hoop dance". :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oscar has a new "friend" in the house! Ellie Noel is a beautiful female CAG. Please look for my Ellie posts in the Introductions section and the Cognition (GREY Lounge) threads if you would like to know more about Ellie. This journal is focused on Oscar and his progress.

Oscar seems to enjoy having another Grey around. Ellie called out her name to Oscar across the house, and Oscar called back with "Eh-", which amazed me because it indicated a couple things: Oscar's ability to learn human speech may be more advanced than I first gave him credit for. Hearing Ellie call out "Ellie" only a few times before attempting to repeat it is impressive. Also, Oscar obviously recognized "another Grey". "Of course," you might say, "Oscar could recognize another Grey's voice! He's a Grey!" But the thing is, Ellie has great human speech, but wasn't making a lot of Grey sounds in her first few moments at home, when she instinctively knew Oscar was in the house somewhere. And Oscar immediately knew a Grey had entered the home, as evidenced by his blushing. :)

Oscar has been very vocal, mostly in positive ways ("hello" and various whistles), but he has also been screaming. I wonder if he is frustrated that he cannot see Ellie just yet, or if something else is going on that I don't understand. I feel strongly that Oscar already knows a few basics about Ellie, like her sex and perhaps even her age (based on her sounds). His seemingly attention-seeking behavior makes a lot of sense in that context. He is competing with her for my attention, now (don't worry, I make sure Oscar still gets plenty of one-on-one time with me).

Oscar has been fairly easy to redirect when he screams. While I still feel that ignoring "bad" behavior has its place, I see the value in simply analyzing what it is I think Oscar wants. Today, his screams seemed to indicate he wanted attention. If I whistled to Oscar, most of the time he would stop screaming long enough to whistle back. If I went one step further and did a silly dance or called Oscar a "good boy" in a goofy voice (after the screaming ceased, of course- I did not praise the screaming) Oscar would laugh his human laugh. Oscar loves to laugh! He would seem more relaxed after I attended to him, and at least for a few moments I could get Oscar to stop the screaming. Please note: the screams Oscar displayed were not distress calls or otherwise emergent. I made sure Oscar was fine before redirecting him (I was sitting with him during the worst of it, so that was simple).

Oscar has been especially excited about cashews, and I am curious as to whether he would take a carrot once he meets Ellie (she willingly eats her veggies). Oscar is eating well, playing well (you should see the cardboard tray on the bottom of his cage, with all the chew marks) and otherwise acting happy. I must admit, I have sustained more bites than usual lately. I am wondering about the cause, because the increased biting preceded Ellie coming home. But it is entirely possible Oscar knew something was up before Ellie arrived, so the biting may still be related to her presence afterall.

That being said, Oscar seems to quite enjoy his far-away Grey friend. I think Oscar gets very flattered when Ellie repeats his calls back to him. He will fixate on whatever calls she copied, and attempt to get her to use them again. Haha!

Ah, Oscar. My beloved, complicated Grey.

4/2/13 PM: Oscar had a good day today. He had some particularly yummy foods (bits of pork chop, Cheerios, veggies and banana) and enjoyed our silly interactions between the cage bars. I very much want to allow Oscar more out of cage time, but I have to take it very slowly to avoid him getting hurt (if you recall, he has been known to panic while out and fly into things). The veterinarian gave me some good advice about enriching Oscar's life while he spends more time in the cage than out of it (again, just for the time being). Oscar received some kick-butt toys recently, and as much as I hate to see my $50 "destroyed" (haha), I fully encourage Oscar to beat up on wood, bells, Krazy Kookies (I think that's what they are called) and cardboard (his favorite- and thankfully the cheapest)!

I have learned a few tricks to help socialize Oscar. Oscar tends to bite out of "displaced aggression" and "habit" (two of the biggest reasons for biting I read about lately). With regards to the displaced aggression, I ensure Oscar has plenty of toys and wood and fun stuff to shred and beat up. I praise him heartily for taking his aggression out on that stupid, stupid wood. ;) He loves the praise, and if he reaches out to bite me (also due to habit) I redirect him with a toy, even coaxing his aggression into playfulness. For example, if Oscar goes to bite me as I place his food bowls in their feeding stations, I 1. offer a piece of wood or other chewy item (foot toys do not work in these moments, however) and 2. do not put down the bowl until Oscar stops attempting to bite. Oscar is learning that biting me equals no food in the immediate future. He's gotten particularly obnoxious with the reaching out of his feeding station doors and gearing up to bite, sticking his neck way out to try and grasp a finger, so I need to be extra stalwart with this no bite behavior modification.

Oscar is getting easier to redirect when he screams, though some days are much better than others. I offer praise when the screaming stops, even if very briefly, and this is usually rewarded with a longer silence the next time as Oscar waits for me to chat with him or offer a toy or treat (not during the screaming, of course). I have to be sure not to compare Oscar to Ellie- "Notice how Ellie's being quiet, Oscar?!" I don't think that's fair, as Oscar has his own reasons for making a loud fuss just as Ellie has her own reasons for shutting down in silence.

Oscar is such a funny guy, I asked him tonight "Are you really sure you want to bite me, Oscar?" and he said "Yeah!" and then I said "Well I don't like it" and he said "Oh!" Coincidence, maybe, but his timing with regards to this conversation (we've had it a few times) is impeccable.

One more thing- I don't know how controversial cage covering is on this forum, as I haven't done a search for the topic. However, I would like to share my own experience with cage covering. First of all, I have read in more than one African Grey parrot book that it is better not to cover cages as birds really appreciate and need good air flow. Also, covering and uncovering a cage can lead to neurotic birds (or so says this one book I have). However, I found it good practice to cover Oscar's cage at night for several weeks when I first got him as a very obvious "bed time" indicator. Once Oscar got used to my routine, however, and the approximate time I/ we go to bed, I have found that he seems more comfortable with an uncovered cage. As for Ellie, her former owner says that Ellie considers a covered cage punishment and dislikes it very much. So once Ellie came on board, I decided to try out uncovered cages at bed time and it's honestly working out great. And I feel better, knowing that my birds are getting good air and receiving a more gentle awakening than the immediate removal of a cage cover and then *boom* sunlight!

As always, input is appreciated. I know this is preaching to the choir, but I have to say this: I LOVE AFRICAN GREY PARROTS.

"Oscar is such a funny guy, I asked him tonight "Are you really sure you want to bite me, Oscar?" and he said "Yeah!" and then I said "Well I don't like it" and he said "Oh!" Coincidence, maybe, but his timing with regards to this conversation (we've had it a few times) is impeccable."

/ Believe me, Oscar understands clearly. :)

"I don't know how controversial cage covering is on this forum"

/ It's not controversial at all. Everyone has their own preference and reasons for covering or not covering the cages. I have always covered my birds cages at night for decades. Why? First because my household has always been early birds getting up around 5am and sometimes earlier. Also due to AC running during the summertime and heat running in winter. It seems most the time there is a vent in the ceiling close enough for a draft to hit their cages.

4/4/13 PM: Oscar has gotten into the habit of screaming at dusk. It took me until today to realize that this is probably his "everyone settling in?" contact call. He also seems annoyed with Ellie when she won't call back, as he continues to scream louder until she makes some kind of acknowledgement that he "spoke".

Oscar is hilarious, and becoming more and more confident every day. I think Oscar appreciates the extra wood toys in his cage to chew, as he is molting like crazy and needs to get some of that itchy energy out.

Tomorrow I will make a point to be especially playful with Oscar, as he loves when I gently tease him, and I feel he could use a little extra one on one attention. This may reduce his dusk-time screaming- least of all it will remind Oscar that he is , as always, my "bro". ;)

Ah Ha, the Flock dynamics are starting, at least in Oscars mind and his persistence until he knows Ellie is settled in and still there as well.

I have no doubt Oscar appreciates everything about his new home, toys and interactions with you. That Onion is starting to peel, slowly but it is. :)

4/6/13 AM: Oscar and Ellie keep calling back and forth to each other! They have unique voices, but it can be tricky to tell which bird is making the initial noise. They seem to be trading off, one calling and the other answering. "Ollie ollie oxen free!" I think the two Greys are truly becoming a flock. :)

Ellie has learned Oscar's "squeaky door" sound (often used as a contact call to me). So now whenever I enter or exit a room, especially my bedroom, I hear 3 squeaky doors- the real door (which, honestly, isn't that squeaky!), Oscar and then Ellie. It is hilariously obnoxious how the "doors" get more and more squeaky over time. Now Ellie tries to beat Oscar to the squeaky door sound, and also make it louder than he does. In response, Oscar makes the squeaky door sound even before I could open or shut a door all the way, and practically shouts the squeaky sound. I am going to die laughing, but will try to post a sound clip or video of all this before I do...

4/10/13 AM: Oscar is having a great morning. Last night he allowed me to put a new perch in his cage (!) plus a toy I made. :) Oscar is accepting novel things more easily now, particularly since Ellie came home. He even met my friend Tim the other day, and I totally forgot that Oscar "hates new people, especially men" until Oscar began his velOSCARaptor scream. Oscar allowed Tim to stare at him and talk to him for a good ten minutes before he got upset. This is amazing for a bird that has been wronged by many people. Oscar seemed to understand that Tim was my friend and therefore, relatively harmless.

Oscar seems to enjoy his new bird phone. It was only about $10 and looks relatively indestructible. It has four buttons, each with a different phrase. Supposedly the phone could teach a bird how to talk, but Oscar seems to use it to get out frustrations, which is fine with me. The makers of the phone claim it could also help a bird to scream less, but so far Oscar screams more or less as much as usual. ;)

Oscar's mood has brightened since Ellie's homecoming. He seems to anticipate each new day a little more eagerly than before. I swear he is counting down the quarantine days until he gets to meet her. ;)

Today I have a good chunk of time before I head off to work, so I will be giving both birds lots of attention. Everyone is in a good mood. Oscar can now imitate the budgies (American parakeets) and does so very loudly! I told him, "The parakeets don't actually make that much noise, Oscar." He laughed at me and proceeded to make the parakeet sounds as loud as before.

4/11/13 AM: Oscar was very loud/ vocal this morning as I was getting ready to leave for an appointment. Upon arriving home, he was as quiet as can be, so I made sure to heap on the praise. I have found that if I praise Oscar between screams, it seems to confuse him and he screams more. But if I "catch" him being good and give him tons of "props" long before he could even think of screaming, he loves the positive attention and stays quiet. Win-win!

However, Oscar's great mood this late morning proved too tempting to me and I stupidly kissed Oscar on the beak. I am fine and not writing this entry from the ER, but Oscar was surprised and attempted a half-hearted lunge at me after the smooch. I have sworn to never do such a silly thing again, and instead I make a huge, obnoxious kissy sound to Oscar to show my affection for him. Guess what?! He learned how to "kiss" back immediately! We try to make our kissy sounds louder than each other (as you know, Oscar loves some healthy competition)! I was also able to touch Oscar very briefly on the head, and he was OK with that. I will stick to slight head touches and pats rather than beak smooches, which is a huge potential OUCH! ;)

Oh, there goes Oscar, making a kissy sound. I better go "kiss" him back for some positive reinforcement and attention.

I was being silly about my recounting of the Beak Kiss Incident, but honestly I would not recommend anyone kiss their bird's beak, even birds that are much tamer than Oscar. I have read that it could be unhealthy for birds if you get your mouth too close to their beaks, though obviously I ignored this (arguably unproven) short article I read.

Oh, there goes Oscar's kissy sound again! I better go reinforce, reinforce, reinforce!

4/13/13 PM: OK so I admit, my dear Oscar has been driving me absolutely bonkers with his screaming. Lately he has been so loud I am seriously wondering about my neighbors complaining. This worry makes me tense, and seems to cause increased tension in Oscar as a result. So now I take breaks outside of the house and come back refreshed, ready to address Oscar's screaming (and the underlying needs he is trying to express). Oscar almost always quiets down as soon as he can see me, so while it is hard to move around the house to get much-needed tasks done without bringing him along, I have determined that Oscar is screaming because he is becoming more bonded to me. This is flattering- I am a part of his (loud) flock now!

Here is the "SUCCESS!!" part of my entry: Oscar gave me two successful step-ups! I promise I didn't push it, I was simply coaxing Oscar back into his cage from the cage top, and because he was running about the outside of his cage to avoid going in (feigning stupidity, which I didn't buy), I had to chase him (slowly and playfully) with a baby blanket (it's one he likes well enough). Well lo and behold, as I got close enough to Oscar's feet, he stepped up onto my (blanket-covered) hand! I praised him like crazy, and though he only stayed on my hand for a brief moment before rushing back onto the cage top, I managed to get him to step up again! This time I playfully but casually said "step up!" and he did! Success!! :cool:

I left Ellie's cage door open for a while today while I was right there, and she declined to come out. I was surprised because normally she is very eager to come out of her cage. I suppose I got used to her just hanging out inside her cage on her ring swing, so I left the room for about ten minutes. In addition, I accidentally left the bedroom door open a crack.

This was enough time and room for Ellie to climb down from her cage, toodle on through the open door and then climb up onto Oscar's cage! When I came upon them, both birds were are happy as could be, Oscar inside his cage with Ellie on top. Luckily I only leave one bird's door open at a time, and stay with them in the room except for just this once! I could swear the birds had at least several minutes together, because neither seemed surprised by the other when I arrived to take Ellie back to her cage. As mentioned before, all of this happened within ten minutes.

I would strongly suggest you pay extra careful attention to cage doors and room doors if you are quarantining your birds. I made what could have been a huge mistake. What if one of my birds had attacked the other? And now quarantining Ellie is useless. Luckily everyone appears in great health.

On a positive note (besides the fact that Oscar and Ellie like each other), Oscar has quieted down considerably since meeting Ellie. Looking back, I realize his increased volume began around the time Ellie came home. Maybe knowing another bird was in the house made Oscar anxious, as he hadn't met this supposed new flock member.

I wish I had a photo to share of the Oscar/ Ellie encounter, but needless to say I was more focused on bird safety and addressing my mistake than grabbing my camera phone.

Oscar very frequently puffs up his feathers as I walk into the room. Usually, but not always, his puffing does not include his head feathers. Now Ellie has started puffing up her feathers too, as if in greeting. But is it really a greeting? Sometimes the puffing seems startled, like I "caught" my Greys at something (which was usually just a nap, or waiting for me to enter the room). I can't really make heads or tails of the feather puffing both of my Greys display. It seems to mean different things at different times. Sometimes the puffing is paired with a head bow, which I know means "scritch my head!" To date, I have not given a head scritch in response to this body language as my birds can still be unpredictable. Sometimes, the puffed-up feathers seem to say, "Watch out, I'm ticked-off!" Now, I did browse the body language thread but have come up empty with a clear explanation or suggestion about what's up with my Greys' feather puffing! Please enlighten this silly human. Thanks. :)

Edited by MoonRock
typo

Your right, they can mean two very different things. When you enter a room as they eagerly await you and you talk loving to them as you approach they puff up like it just makes them feel all cuddly. The other side though, is the stay the heck away from me as they puff up meaning you are going to get nailed if you stick that hand any closer to me.

You just need to know the difference in these cases based upon the circumstances.... a happy room entry greeting or a "Stay Back" pose when your interacting with them on a completely different level or time. You learn this through experience. A lot of times when they are out just chilling, you will see them perched on one foot, fluffed up and beak grinding away...... One happy and content camper. :)

4/19/13 early afternoon: Yesterday Ellie climbed on top of Oscar's cage and no matter how much I tried persuading her, she would not be coaxed off of it! I wasn't particularly worried, as Oscar clearly accepted Ellie's presence, but I was trying to determine how I could quickly remove her in case of an emergency in the future (the Greys are still so new to each other, I want to be prepared for possible trouble ahead). It was actually quite cute, Ellie trying her darnedest to stay put, Oscar watching the negotiating, and then a brief moment of Ellie "telling off" Oscar when he went for a tentative Ellie toe nip. I want to say that Ellie seems to be the "boss", but as I keep reading with Greys, it doesn't really work that way. In fact, Oscar and Ellie seem to accept each other so readily, it's like they are already equal members in a flock. I think that brief moment of Ellie scolding Oscar made me want to peg her as the leader, but again I say- both Greys seem to simply accept each other as fellow (sometimes annoying) flock members.

4/21/13 PM: Oscar had a great day. He found his way onto Ellie's cage, and had a blast just hanging out on the dome top. When it came time for me to put him back in his cage, Oscar willingly flew to his cage when I called him! This was such a pivotal moment: Oscar displayed trust in me, and in his ability to fly in spite of his visual impairment (he is blind in one eye). I would very much like to allow Oscar's wing feathers to grow out, as he showed he could fly with confidence (albeit a short distance). I am giddy!

Oscar and Ellie obviously like each other, but to date they have never been "beak to beak". I only open one Grey's cage when the other's is closed. At what point should I introduce them out of their cages, and how do I do this? The play stands I have (except for the one I am in the process of refurbishing) is only big enough for one Grey at a time. I feel I should pick neutral territory for the introductions, but beyond that I am not sure how to go about the official meeting of the Greys.

Oscar has been quieter lately, only really making a fuss after dawn if I am taking too long to greet him good morning, and at dusk when he calls out to make sure his flock is safe and secure. When he is out of his cage, he tends to be quiet for hours, occupying himself with perching, preening, and whistling (but not screaming). I believe Ellie's presence has made Oscar happier, as has our routine: morning greet 'n' treat and feeding, as well as time out of the cage (in shifts). Positive interactions with me, such as whistling back and forth and lots of praise, as well as working on establishing trust (i.e. "Go to your cage and I will give you a peanut!"). Novel toys and special goodies meant just for when I am away at work. I arrive at home and greet 'n' treat, tell the Greys how my day was, ask what they did in my absence (maybe some day I will actually get an answer, haha), give time out of the cage, provide the evening feeding, facilitate positive interactions with me, etc. before bedtime, and then say "Goodnight, I will see you in the morning!"

I love progress. :)

OMG, OMG, OMG! Oscar and Ellie were sparring (mostly) playfully, with Oscar on top of Ellie's cage and Ellie in it. To date I have not introduced the Greys beak-to-beak. Oscar had a good long while out of his cage and as it was Ellie's turn to come out, I tried getting Oscar to fly back to his cage- no luck. He seemed to really want to fly but appeared so unsure about it (as evidenced by hopping nervously from one foot to the other, false starts, and an anxious expression). So I covered my hand with a comfy baby blanket, which was thin but would *sort of* protect me from any impending bites. I very calmly walked over to Oscar as he stood atop Ellie's cage. I gently but firmly held my hand above his feet, below his belly. Oscar tentatively placed one foot on my hand, but seemed unsure about what to do. With confident I said "Step up!" and lifted my hand a bit to encourage Oscar to stand on my hand. And he did! IT WAS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STEP-UP MANKIND HAS EVER SEEN! I tried not to act too shocked or otherwise unpredictable as I slowly brought Oscar over to his cage top. It could have been very tricky at that point as Oscar has a tendency to bite on the "release" from my hand, but I simply placed him where the cage top was about belly-chest level so he had to step up onto it to get a little more stability. He seemed relieved that nothing bad happened after he stepped up, as was I! I praised Oscar like crazy, which he loved, and treated him with a fat, delicious peanut. SUCCESS!

What I think I did right:

*I stayed calm.

*I trusted in the process.

*I gave Oscar the motivation to step-up (he wanted to go back to his cage, and I showed him the container of peanuts).

*I planned for the unexpected- I covered my hand to protect myself from Oscar's usual bites, and I walked very slowly to avoid Oscar flying off my hand and hitting a wall or worse.

*I offered ample praise when it was all done!