NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oscar's training journal

MoonRock

***I will be taking him to Dr. Brian Speer as soon as I can, but in the meantime I have a "prescription" to fatten Oscar up with peanuts, bananas, high-protein foods and his usual Zupreem pellets.****

Normally, I don't recopy and repost any of my posts but I'll do it here because of what you said a few days ago.

Greys don't gain weight quickly no matter what you feed them. It's a slow process and weight gain may never happen if the category of the bird's size is known.

Small--Medium--Large --sized birds. You said your bird is 418 gms. Approx 395 pounds is a small grey. Aprox 410 to 450 is medium. Apprx 485 to 565 is large. All weights vary.

1 Pound = 454 Grams ---equals a medium sized bird.

I don't know who invented that *prescription* that you'll be giving him but peanuts don't cause a grey to gain weight but too much peanuts can cause problems. Too much fruits is useless because the fruits are acidic and run through the digestive system. Fruits soften stool. That includes bananas. Weight gain won't exist.

What caused you to make up your mind that your bird was underweight?

Understand that this has nothing to do with the *journal* that you're involved in. I have nothing to do with your daily *journal*.

This only has to do with health and I would feel bad by ignoring this subject which is a serious subject.

Edited by Dave007

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with all Dave has said, stick with a regular diet, and don't worry so much about the weight. If the poop is ok, plays, eats, sleeps, interacts normally then don't worry so much...We have a small CAG under 400g, 7yr's old, and Spock was over 500g, and they ate the same things. When raising Spock,his bro and sister [up to fledging] all weighed a different amount.

Hi Dave, allow me respond to your post: The groomer was the one who "prescribed" a weight gaining diet for Oscar. She is not a veterinarian, and I understand your concerns about my attempts to fatten up Oscar.

I did take Oscar to the Medical Center for Birds, where the famed Dr. Speer practices. Oscar saw Dr. Olsen and he did find that Oscar is very light. However, and in line with what you had to say, Dr. Olsen did not mandate that I feed Oscar anything in particular, but did say I was free to feed him whatever he will eat for training purposes. Dr. Olsen was far more concerned about Oscar's behavioral needs, and essentially gave him a clean bill of health (without us being able to do a blood panel- we will get that baseline in about a month, when Dr. Olsen can hopefully handle Oscar more).

Dr. Olsen gave me the go ahead to feed small, frequent bits of "fun" foods Oscar likes, and said our short-term goal is training. Our long-term goal will be nutrition and health. He is really an amazing veterinarian, and I would recommend him to anyone. He even got Oscar to step up onto a towel three times!

2/23/13 PM: Oscar is doing better, behaviorally, with each passing day. Oscar allowed me to place a new toy in his cage with only a moment's disdain for this new "thing". I expect to see it totally shredded by tomorrow morning, as he enjoys playing his hardest in the wee hours of the morning when I am not present. However, Oscar decided today that he loves to show off when he is eating. As I enter the room, he whistles and makes his usual sounds and then rushes to his bowl to show me, very pointedly, that he is eating. I swear he tries to reveal each and every pellet before delightedly savoring it. What do you folks make of this behavior? It is very amusing but a little strange. It almost feels like Oscar is trying to share an experience with me. He is also much more willing to turn his back to me.

I attended a bird care class today, held by Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue. It was the basic class, so most of what was mentioned was not new information for me. However, I am looking forward to their intermediate and advanced classes. Even if I just learn one new thing at each class, that helps Oscar and my 'keets.

One thing mentioned at the class was a parrot's need to be misted every single day. I have always heard that a parrot needs misting a few times a week. Luckily Oscar enjoys a light misting, so whether it should be done daily or a few times a week, he will be game. As always, folks, feel free to clue me in to the "best bird keeping practices" (as they say).

I simply adore Oscar. He was pretty ticked off/ scared at the Medical Center for Birds, but Dr. Olsen was gentle and unhurried. Seriously, he spent an hour with me, Oscar, and our very own new forum member, "Blueberrytunes". Oscar did his whole velOSCARaptor act for Dr. Olsen, but Dr. Olsen didn't get the least bit annoyed with the noise. Dr. Olsen discussed captive foraging with me, as well as training. He said that a "step up" is a rather advanced skill for a parrot, and to take it really easy with Oscar.

So I am "armed"! A great veterinarian, a wonderful forum, fantastic "bird people" friends and the motivation to make life GREYT for Oscar. :)

P.S. I contacted Oscar's old owners and explained what the veterinarian observed. I requested that we put a hold on my payment plan and instead focus on Oscar's veterinary bills. I will let you all know what they say.

"Fun food" like pasta, peanuts and cashews, grapes, and anything Oscar finds particularly tasty.

Thank you....Almonds are superior with walnuts a close second. Grapes, once or twice a week, very little fruit for our Greys, peanuts as you know should always be only human grade roasted, no sodium....Raw pasta, swells to twice it's size when wet. A good comparison for the amount of treats is the equivalent to the size of a Greys head. Walnuts approx 1/3 a day...Thanks Jay

This is so enjoy able to read and I'm learning from it to, I use pumkin seeds for treats when out of the cage, pellets are always in Alfies dish, he has small amount of cereal for breakfast, and tea is chopped mixed veg, I chop it in blender to make it small and do add small amount of seed mix as he will pick this out but as the veg is chopped so small has no choice but to eat the veg, ever couple of weeks Alfie loves some scambled egg, and if he can get to my plate will pinch what ever I have which is not always good has been known to run off with jacket wedges! I think you are doing really well and seeking out so much advice, keep up the good work its helping me with some tips as well.

2/24/13, afternoon: Oscar woke up happy today, but had not torn into his new toy overnight as anticipated. He seems to have slept through the night *gasp*. Imagine that! Shortly after waking up Oscar shredded a roll of paper towels I offered, and he was pretty happy about it. However, as usual, he played when I was not watching.

Indeed, this morning I "caught" Oscar playing with the new toy. It was in his talon and everything. He immediately dropped it when he saw me come into the room, and acted as though he was doing something else. So if I had given him more time alone this morning, I think the toy would have been toast!

Oscar nipped me as I handed him a less-preferred treat, though I am uncertain whether it was an intentional nip or an effort to more fully grasp the second rate treat. Maybe he was telling me not to offer dried mango again?

Oscar and my roommate got into a whistling contest, and it was very cute! Oscar would whistle out, trying to get me back into the room, and Brett would whistle the same tune back to Oscar. Oscar seemed to love this, as their continued back and forth lasted a good ten minutes. Brett is definitely not a "bird person", so this was an extra special moment.

Oscar still has a long way to go, as trust building and true bonding take time to build. However, every single passing day Oscar makes some kind of talon-footed step forward. I am very proud of him. :)

I forgot all about peek-a-boo! I think Oscar would love it! Right now I am sitting with him and he is being so mellow! He seems to be enjoying my company but looks so relaxed, eating pellets and checking me out now and then. I deeply wish I could handle him, but two weeks ago I could never have imagined he would allow me to get so very close to the cage and spend time with him. His fear of me has gone way down.

One thing the avian veterinarian did with Oscar when he got scared was to show his hands to Oscar, in a very soft "my hands are far away from you, buddy" gesture. I surely adore Dr. Olsen. In time maybe Oscar will, too. :)

Edited by MoonRock

2/25/13 PM: Me: "Peek-a-boo!" Oscar: "Hello!" Me: "Peek-a-boo!" Oscar: "Hello!", and so on and so forth. :) He rarely says hello, or at least I rarely understand it because he says it in a very high-pitched voice. So his response to the peek-a-boo game was very cool. I tucked behind a sheet and kept popping out to say peek-a-boo, and Oscar loved it and kept saying hello. At one point I covered a corner of his cage and did one peek-a-boo that way but it really startled Oscar! I apologized profusely and asked if he forgave me. He said "Yaw!" (his way of saying yeah) Is it possible he knew what I was asking??

I misted Oscar with warm water and he loved it, standing in the spray saying "Yaw!"

He follows me to different sides of the cage, which is a new development as of today. If I sit or stand near the front left side of his cage, where his preferred perch is, he likes to scoot as close to me as he can get. Simple enough, it's his preferred perch. But if I stand near the front right side of his cage, he follows me over there too! He literally has to leave his favorite perch and climb about the cage to reach the other, less-preferred perch just to be near me! Weird, but very cool!

I guess the veterinarian's cage restriction for Oscar is not such a bad thing. I worried Oscar would be upset not getting to come out, but keeping him on cage restriction during quarantine (which was mandated as much for behavior as for health) is really working out well for us. I will be sure to take him out lots once the veterinarian gives me the green light, but Oscar's happiness is really increasing even as we "hang out" while I sit by the cage with him inside.

LOL, I am glad peek-a-boo worked out as a fun interaction between you and Oscar. Building that link between you and oscar on a platform of enjoyment for both will be key in building the relationship.The misting sounds like it was a welcomed experience as well and is needed to keep him healthy. I love these updates! :)

2/27/13 AM: When Oscar awoke he made the door opening sound, which is one of the three "approved" low-volume calls to get me into the room (the others- an alarm clock sound and a "Hello!"). He was a little impatient for the day to start. :)

Oscar has now been saying "hello" a lot. It is high-pitched and a little garbled, but I have no doubt this is what he is saying. I tested my "Oscar always perches in close proximity to me" theory, and it appears to hold true. I made a game of it, sitting to one side of the cage and then the other, and Oscar followed me every time.

That toy I mentioned long ago, hoping Oscar would kill it in the middle of the night? It appears he is beginning to work at it. Just a few more days and I expect it to rest in a mangled heap on the cage floor. ;)

2/28/13 PM: Oscar will do anything for a bit of banana! Given that Oscar is becoming attached to (or at least quite tolerant of) me, I decided today to start the very beginning stages of "step up" training with him. If you recall, I was rather pushy in the past with my "step up" demands, as evidenced by the healing wounds on my arm. As I mentioned, the avian veterinarian explained that the "step up" command is actually rather advanced for a bird.

I allowed Oscar to climb up to his cage top and hang out for a while. I spoiled him with banana pieces (very small ones), until I had him practically running to me when I called his name. He already responds favorably to his name, but the banana kicked up his recall speed. :) After a while I presented my towel-covered hand, as the veterinarian did. I did NOT require a step up, as Oscar would take a few small steps backwards when he saw my towel/ hand. I would put the towel down but within view, call Oscar forward, and present a banana bit after his run forward to get his reward.

I want to be clear here: I did not reward Oscar for the towel/ hand fear (more like apprehension), as it may appear. I was very careful to time Oscar's banana bit for the run forward, not for his steps backward. It was all about the timing, and if I may say so, I think I did a very good job. :) My goal is to present Oscar with the idea that good things come with towels and hands, even if they remain a little scary at this point.

Oscar all but chased me around his cage top for bits of banana, and I chased him right back (slowly, gently, and playfully) with the towel/ hand. Oscar is definitely making the link between me and fun activities. I got into the habit of lightly tapping the feeding station door of his cage, and he loves to climb down head-first to investigate what I am doing. This places Oscar very close to my knee (as I tend to sit curled up by the cage). *Tap, tap, tap* and Oscar excitedly climbs down to be playful with me.

I realize my descriptions of Oscar being "apprehensive" or "playful" are not well explained, as I have a hard time defining in writing the subtle changes to his body language (and even, at times, just a seeming twinkle in his eye). But while concrete evidence of such "human" emotions elude me, I will say this. Oscar appears to be apprehensive when I approach him with a toweled hand, because he backs up, his pupils dilate, and his balance is unsteady. Oscar appears to be playful when I present banana bits or tap his feeding station door, because he moves forward awkwardly quick, and his wings are more square with where I am sitting (thus revealing a potentially vulnerable posture- and remember, Oscar is only sighted in his left eye).

I know this entire journal is quite anecdotal, but in the days, weeks, and months to come I feel I would like to be more descriptive about what I am seeing with regards to Oscar's body language and my own responses. This will serve to help me reflect upon exactly what I did and how it affected Oscar, with the dual purpose of helping others with their own training (which was one of my originally stated goals).

I appreciate all the support and encouragement I have received from the forum, which has coaxed me to publicly acknowledge training (and other) mistakes. I truly want to do what is best for Oscar, and subsequently other Greys (especially rescues).

As usual, thanks for reading Oscar's training journal!

Edited by MoonRock
Chopped an unnecessary "to". :)

"I would like to be more descriptive about what I am seeing with regards to Oscar's body language and my own responses. This will serve to help me reflect upon exactly what I did and how it affected Oscar"

Body language and eyes are how greys and all birds indicate their feelings instinctively. They do have true emotions. They can be happy, angry, jealous, sad etc.. Their body language, actions and sounds indicates those feelings. Unfortunately they do not have face and lip articulation like us humans, so they use what they have physically.

I personally would stop using the towel. I can imagine with his background, that the towel has always been a bad experience with tons of memories and emotions linked to it. I know your probably wanting to avoid possible bite damage, but as you learn his body language, you can avoid them for the most part.

You are doing a wonderful job with Oscar. Something savored like that banana will have him stepping up on to your hand without any thought of biting it. We all for the most part have always used relished food items to train them to do step ups and other behaviors. It is a win-win for both you and the grey. :)