NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is a ring required in all countries?

forummehta

I wanted to know whether a ring on the foot of the parrot is a requirement in all countries (mainly Australia, USA, Europe and Canada). Since I adopted Miki, she doesnt have a ring and I don't know her background. Im staying in Muscat now but will travel to these countries soon. I wanted to know if theres anyway I can get her licensed/registered with the ring. Please let me know if any of you know about it...thanks

I wanted to know whether a ring on the foot of the parrot is a requirement in all countries (mainly Australia, USA, Europe and Canada). Since I adopted Miki, she doesnt have a ring and I don't know her background. Im staying in Muscat now but will travel to these countries soon. I wanted to know if theres anyway I can get her licensed/registered with the ring. Please let me know if any of you know about it...thanks

Rings aren't required on greys or other parrots. The only ring that has accurate info on it is the one that's put on a parrot before it's 2 weeks old. It's called a closed ring and is usually put on by a breeder. When a grey or other large parrot reaches the age of 3/4 weeks old, the only ring that can be used is called open ring and info on it may be innacurate. The ring can be easily taken off one bird and put on another so that type of ring means nothing.

Here in the US and Canada what's necessary to bring a bird in from another country is what's called quarantine. The bird needs to be kept in quarantine before being released to the owner only if there's nothing wrong with the bird. Depending on the country, quarantine time is different. Some countries require birds to be kept in quarantine for approx 15 days or 30 days or 45 days or 60 days. So, if you're thinking that a registered/ licensed bird is what's necessary to go from country to country, that's not the method that's used. The only thing that has to be proven is the health of the bird which is proven in quarantine.

In other countries the amount of quarantine time may be different but it's still required.

Edited by Dave007

I agree with Dave but I would strongly suggest that you have your Grey microchipped. Unfortunately the chips used in the US are not the same as European chips and require a different reader. You may need to bring your own reader if you intend to travel to both Europe and the US. Depending on where you intend to go microchipping may be mandatory. It may well be required that your bird is quarantined to comply with disease control regulations. Australia has very strict quarantine controls that make short term travel with a parrot impossible. In Europe microchipping is a requirement to ensure accurate identification. It is a safe procedure that needs to be done by a vet who is qualified to work with birds.

I strongly suggest you look at this to get more information to see what is most relevant to your situation: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/movinginternationally.php

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

To expand a bit, leg bands are not required in the US or Canada, but may be useful for identification purposes needed to bring a bird into the country as part of the chain of custody and evidence of country of origin.

Regarding traveling with an exotic animal like a grey, check before you head out. Bringing any bird that did not originate from that country is very iffy. If you do not have a leg band, I do not believe you will be able to travel with your bird into the US, as only captive bred birds may be imported. The only way to prove your grey is captive bred is with a closed leg band. In this context, the leg band is required.

More importantly, Check if Muscat is on the list of countries where import of African Greys (any bird, for that matter) is prohibited due to pathogenic avian disease risk.

Check with the USDA (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/nonus_pet_bird.shtml) and US Customs (http://www.cbp.gov/) before traveling.