NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Making great progress with Zydeco

ArtVandelay

I introduced myself on here about 2 weeks ago when I rehomed zydeco, a 2 year old Timneh. He was very nervous at first and would bite almost any time you tried to have him step up. After only a few short days however, he was eating treats from my hand and begging to come out of his cage. I started off target training him and he has already mastered turning around on command and he waves 80% of the time when I give the "wave" command. He will let me touch his beak and toes momentarily, but that is about the extent of our contact. Is there any way to slowly make him comfortable with scratching his head or behind his neck? Anytime I try to get behind him he turns his head or body and becomes very nervous.

Also on a side note, the owner gave me a list of words and phases he learned while with them. I have heard a few different whistles coming from him, but no words yet. Any input is appreciated.

It sounds like you are making great progress! For the first couple of months after I rehomed Timber, he would only let me scratch his head through the cage bars and only at bedtime. They tend to be more receptive then it seems. It took us awhile to work up to a real scratch session, because that takes quite a bit of trust from the bird. I suspect Zydeco already talks when you aren't around. You will probably start hearing more and more as he gets more comfortable. Two weeks is a very short time in "grey" time. Keep talking to him. Even if he isn't talking he is listening. One of these days he will surprise you with something he learned from you. Good job! :)

Wonderful update! you are making good progress in such a short period of time. As Timbersmom said, being trusted enough for zydeco to ever allow such a vulnerable situation with your hand or fingers coming over and/or behind to touch will take time. Some greys just never really want scratches or their back or wings touched. :)

Thats great!! Ive gone through something similar with Miki except that it was 2 months and not weeks!! But anyway...try reching the head after you touch her beak and give her a treat.. she will allow you gradually.. dont go behind the head coz it may scare her..moreover...id suggest, use just one finger instead of your hand...the palm may scare her off ...but u'll obviously have to be very careful not to get nipped :-)