NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Medication for pulled blood feather

monax

Yesterday, I had to take Toby to the vet after finding a broken blood feather. The vet extracted the feather to prevent re-injury. She mentioned that this was a painful procedure and prescribed carprofen (an anti-inflammatory and pain medication) to be given for 5 days. Toby was quiet and dozed much of yesterday after the vet, which is understandable given the stress. However, by evening he seemed better and today was back to his normal active self. He does not seem to be in pain, and I'm wondering whether I should continue with the meds. I don't want him to be uncomfortable, but also would rather not over-medicate if I can help it. Thoughts?

There are no vets here, so we can only give our feelings, which could be wrong or right. Parrots break/lose feathers all the time, in most cases, we let the parrot take care of it. Medicine, if it were I, I would spray my my parrot with Aloe Vera juice,[this is if all bleeding had stopped and not restarted.] We prefer to use medicine when we have no other choice.

Carprofen [Rimadyl] is a Nsaid for DOGS and CATs, I won't give it to my birds, period. This is my opinion and mine alone......

http://www.ckcbirds.co.uk/Rimadyl.htm EVERY BODY READ!!!!!

It is not licensed for avian use but that statement alone is a bit misleading. This is called "off -label" use. Vets routinely use drugs "off-label" as there are very few that are actually licensed for exotics. If they could not use off-label drugs their treatment choices would be very limited. Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Jayd, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I had also read the very same link you referenced and that got me a bit concerned. Toby usually handles broken feathers on his own, but I saw a lot of blood yesterday, and wasn't sure if it was going to stop on its own. I wouldn't hesitate to use medication when necessary, but he really doesn't seem to be in any distress so I think I will discontinue after today. He vocalized for hours today and was playing as usual, which I take as good signs. I am using aloe vera juice on him regularly as he is molting and will continue to do so. Thanks again.

Just read jayd link, how sad is that, this is very worrying, and some of you may knock me but touch wood Alfie has not seen a vet since i had him, was checked by breeders vet, and I do hope I never have to use one would like to be able to control claws myself but out of intrest how often do you guys use a vet and for what reasons?

Jayd - thanks. I've heard that styptic power is safe for claws, but can cause chemical burns on the skin. Is that true? I have cornstarch on hand but have not used it yet.

aw64 - an annual physical would be a good idea. Here's a link that might be helpful: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww10eii.htm

Toby has been a pretty healthy bird in the 11 months that we've had him. We did have one emergency situation early on where he apparently got some food stuck in his crop and was vomiting. That was an expensive emergency room visit, but we were so grateful that we didn't lose him right then and there. This blood feather incident is the second time we've taken him in for medical treatment.

Jayd - thanks. I've heard that styptic power is safe for claws, but can cause chemical burns on the skin. Is that true? I have cornstarch on hand but have not used it yet.

aw64 - an annual physical would be a good idea. Here's a link that might be helpful: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww10eii.htm

Toby has been a pretty healthy bird in the 11 months that we've had him. We did have one emergency situation early on where he apparently got some food stuck in his crop and was vomiting. That was an expensive emergency room visit, but we were so grateful that we didn't lose him right then and there. This blood feather incident is the second time we've taken him in for medical treatment.

Thanks, we've never had a problem, it's the same as you would put on a cut from shaving, the sticks are sold at drug stores. When using it you only put it on thr feather shaft. I'll check into it.