NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Interior Design

paleale

I've noticed a common trend in the gazillion videos and pictures I've seen. The insides of cages seem... (for lack of a better word) cluttered. Do CAGs like stuff? Toys all over, perches all over, ropes hanging? It kind of seems to me the typical cage or playtop is overloaded with all kinds of shapes, textures, colors. We don't have Pearl for another few weeks and let me tell you, her cage is looking bare! Sure, we will accumulate more over time (and the breeder will be sending us home with some of her current favorites), but are we being boring parronts? I was concerned about overwhelming her, but maybe she would prefer some more stuff! Or maybe it will just be something we have to wait and see on... :cool:

BoringCage_zpsf4188e86.jpg

Good question-most of us are trying to keep these clever minds occupied during cage time. It also makes us feel like we are doing good things for our Grey friends so it is a win win. Paper bags, non toxic tree branches with leaves and flowers when available, cardboard boxes, old paperback books or phone books, ropes, coffee filters use your imagination to make that cage a playground. It can takes some birds a while to not feel threatened by new objects given to them so you have to know your bird.

Yes on the bells, Bongo alone has 3 in his cage, 2 on his stand where he hangs out and one on the sink perch. A must for him! I put him in the cage for dinner, he runs and rings his bells. He forgot once and just dove in his food bowl, after he got a mouth full he must have realized it because he dropped his food and ran to ring the bells then went back to eating, OCD maybe? Lol Adding paper, shredding toys and a baby teething phone are his must haves along with a phone book and his chewing boing. Rattles, plastic chains, wood beads and blocks, oh how this list can go on! They can never have too much! Lol (that shoe will last a week, heehee)

Oh, and all kinds of perches, grapevine and dragon wood, the concrete one that trims the little dagger nails. Each food area needs a perch for them. Different sizes to keep the feet active. Dowels are ok but slick and give no exercise.

Edited by murfchck

As a side note, I love that we have babies just a few days apart and ended up with the same cage! That being said, I was really worried about what to put in the cage and vice versa. I've caught myself just staring at the cage wondering whether it was too bare or too cluttered. I moved things around so many times. I ended up just going with variety. Pictures are up in the "show us your cage" sticky. As you know, the cage came with those 2 perches and i'm not really a big fan of them but i kept them anyway because they reach across the whole cage. I added 2 half perches for my natural wood selection of different diameters (grape wood & fir). Then put in a flavored calcium/cuttlebone perch and of course, the rope perch. For toys.. there are a few wood ones w/ bells, one for shredding, one for preening/cuddling, a rubber ball/bell, and just some misc ones that i hung on some of the perches. I also bought 2 more bowls and put them in very low at the bottom of the cage incase he doesn't navigate his new home well for the first few days. Also thinking about putting a blanket on the bottom (or maybe just 1/2 of it) to cushion any falls etc. It may still be too much, will have to see what he thinks when he's home. I didn't realize that decorating a cage could be so stressful and fun at the same time. The best part, they probably won't use half of the stuff in there :)

Edited by Pixburgh29

My vet recommended a concrete perch to help with nail care. I'm relatively new myself, so I don't know if that is standard or not. I have a short concrete perch at the highest position, and that is the one Timber chooses to sleep on. He is an adult though, not a baby. I'd be interested to hear what others think about this.

Well, I can tell you that it isn't very effective with Timber. I still have to have his nails trimmed every six months or sooner. However, from what I've read here, it depends on the grey as do many things. Some of the member's birds trim their own nails for the most part and some have to be "helped." Like everything else, sometimes we just do what we can :)

Only about 6 vendors regularly travel here but there are regularly 2 or 3 with a lot of toys and toy parts. No one brings birds. Maybe I'll shoot the organization an e-mail to make sure that it is allowed and if the weather is good take Jake in his packobird and stroller.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure there is room for your bird to stretch his/her wings, at least one side at a time fully, when they do their birdy Tai chi. As for hanging toys and placing perches, there is an art to it that only experience can provide. I've gotten good at placing high perches so that poops do not land on lower perches or toys. Makes cleaning easier. You might want to add some perches to the outside for out of cage climbing adventures. I love perches made of Java 'Wood because it is so durable. Little hard to get the nooks and crannies of the branches clean, and boy does it stink when it's wet, but Dorian loves perching on them. For a new baby I'd do some shallow notches to roughen up the surface for easier gripping. Or wrap slippery perches with vet wrap. The blanket or towel on the bottom is a good idea until you see your baby navigating without difficulty. Same thing with perches. Keep them low and gradually raise them as baby gets better at hanging on and climbing. I second (or is it 5th) the bell thing. A big stainless bell that makes lots of noise, hung with a decent length of heavy chain for swinging on and beating up. Seems to be essential for grey life. Pick one you like the sound of. You'll be hearing it a lot! lol