NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Greys memory

SRSeedBurners

Thought I would relate a story about my previous Grey 'Odie'. I purchased her with my wife at the time in '88 or '89 when I was 18 or 19 years old. We also had a conure and a Blue Front Amazon at the time. Odie ended up living with me for around 5-6 years before I got the boot from my now ex-wife. This was 1994. I never saw the bird again until...

Fast forward to 2010? 2011? It seems like it was only a couple years ago but probably more like 5. You know how it is when you get old. My ex-wife went through some hard times and ended up having to re-home my birds to my aunt. One day when I was home visiting my parents I asked if we could go see my aunt and the birds. I walk in and see Odie and she acts sort of like I expected her to act - stand-offish and giving me that look that says keep your distance mister. I figure she's forgotten who I am. I do notice she is keeping an eye on me though. So I go over again and say something to her that I remember she used in the voice her and I would use and OMG...the bird nearly turns herself inside out trying to get to me. She starts panting, her wings are up and half-cocked all while doing that baby grunting noise that I remember she used to do. I get close enough and she instantly puts her foot up and is begging to step up. Grunt, grunt, grunt...she can't contain herself. This went on for a good half hour or more. Kisses, more grunting. I kept doing stuff that I remember she would do and she started doing some of the phrases and noises she used to do. My aunt said she had never heard her do some of them before. Had never seen her act like that either.

Greys are pretty special. Hopefully she's coming back to me if and when my aunt needs me to take over (I still need to talk to her about that - hard topic). And my daughter, who grew up with Odie is in line after that if needed. :)

You are so right, they never forget. Thank you so much for sharing this story. It would be heartbreaking at this point in my mind, for Odie not to be returned to you. She knows your still alive now and will wonder if and when you will come back, take her with you and live as the happy flock as you once were. I hope she has not fallen in to a depression now, which some do after seeing a previous loved one.

Please keep us updated. I have prayers and high hopes for you both to be a family again! :)

I've had a similar experience. In 1999, I rehomed a TAG to some friends when I could not keep him (he was always a lady's bird and lives happily with 2 of them now), but did not visit him in all that time. I wanted him to know he was in a new home and it was too sad to visit for quite a while. He is friendly with them, but not strangers. About a year ago, I finally asked to see him and was granted the OK. I walk in the door and he begins whistling and did the "hand" shake I taught him when asked and gave kisses. He clearly remembered me, and fondly at that. It was one of those experiences one never forgets--to meet an animal that remembered you from over a dozen years of no-see.

Ok, now your bringing tears to my eyes. Of course they remember! I am not saying this to be mean to anyone. But please, if you have to rehome any creature, do not go and see them later unless there is a very high possibility they will return to you. I have seen this happen to dogs and parrots. Most will become depressed and slothful for days and sometimes hard to handle for the present people they live with.

Again, I do not intend this to have been mean. It is so you will understand how the parrot, dog, cat or any other creature feels when you walk out again perhaps never to be seen again..

Hi, I know this might sound cruel but we never allowed visit once they were in our care. With rehomes, we had a "Change of Mind" period, no questions asked. With rescues, over my dead body....As Dan pointed out, there's a strong possibility of depression or even worst possibility's. It's best not to revisit unless your guaranteed reconciliation. It's far harder on the Grey then it is on you.....EDIT: Thanks Dan, just read your last post after posting this one.

I agree that rehomed animals should be allowed to form their new home without undue confusion, but say in my defense that the TAG was not bonded to me, rather he tolerated me very well, him being a lady's bird and me being not a lady. No matter how much work I did with him, any female stranger could walk into the room with us and was immediately greeted with affection--I was immediately forgotten. For his welfare, I did not visit him for over a dozen years. He enjoyed our reunion, but was not adversely affected by it, as I repeatedly confirmed from his new parronts. I was always considered part of his flock, but not his chosen by any stretch.

I agree that rehomed animals should be allowed to form their new home without undue confusion, but say in my defense that the TAG was not bonded to me, rather he tolerated me very well, him being a lady's bird and me being not a lady. No matter how much work I did with him, any female stranger could walk into the room with us and was immediately greeted with affection--I was immediately forgotten. For his welfare, I did not visit him for over a dozen years. He enjoyed our reunion, but was not adversely affected by it, as I repeatedly confirmed from his new parronts. I was always considered part of his flock, but not his chosen by any stretch.

A Grey bonds with more than one person at a time, what is different is the amount of the bond. A flock is bonded, a neighboring flock isn't. In any home, in the Greys mind their bond to every one to a different degree. In the wild the Grey mates with a member of his/her flock, they either stay with their flock or move on to a new flock depending how large their old one is. As far as female/male goes, it's simply a matter of the Greys choice, we've had rescue male's that were abused by a male and would re-choose a male mate, the same with females, the bonding process is far more complicated then what sex you are. I'm sorry but you did indeed leave a impression with your ex Grey that will stay forever, He'll always be looking over his shoulder for you......

Thanks Nancy

Wow, I had no idea! I rehomed Timber from my daughter-in-law last summer. She had Timber for six months. She (and my son and granddaughter) are in and out of my house all the time. I have to say it never occurred to me that it might have an adverse affect on him. Just when you think you are starting to get a handle on things, you get another surprise. That said, if it bothers him he hides it well. It might help that he never really got close to any of them, which is one of the many reasons they decided they couldn't keep him. Makes me sad to think it might be bothering him though!

Wow, I had no idea! I rehomed Timber from my daughter-in-law last summer. She had Timber for six months. She (and my son and granddaughter) are in and out of my house all the time. I have to say it never occurred to me that it might have an adverse affect on him. Just when you think you are starting to get a handle on things, you get another surprise. That said, if it bothers him he hides it well. It might help that he never really got close to any of them, which is one of the many reasons they decided they couldn't keep him. Makes me sad to think it might be bothering him though!

I'm happy to say, yours is a different circumstance....In your case it's like the baby was just moved to a different room.....Bless you.....

I guess Greys are like flying elephants. Elephants also never forget!:D

Steve n Misty

Speaking of Elephants, Our Spock was Hypoglycemic, whech meant he was opposite of a Diabetic, he required carb's lot's of carb's because he was so active.....Spock ate 4-5 big full meals a day, Sooooooooo, you know that big bomb your cute baby drops each morning? Spock would do that 4 to 5 times a day............LOL

Speaking of Elephants, Our Spock was Hypoglycemic, whech meant he was opposite of a Diabetic, he required carb's lot's of carb's because he was so active.....Spock ate 4-5 big full meals a day, Sooooooooo, you know that big bomb your cute baby drops each morning? Spock would do that 4 to 5 times a day............LOL

I hope you are able to read the early warning signs so you can duck in time!;)

Steve n Misty

Timbersome... I agree with Jayd. Total different circumstances. Nothing is bothering him about his family dynamics. He's bonding to you, and has that extra special something, his previous owner is part of your family.

Jayd... we have GOT to do a poop contest with our greys and amazons! LOL! Not so bad with Sophie, but Kiki the amazon poops like nothing I have ever seen! LOL! Nancy