NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

inherited African Grey...now what?

melba36

I have just "inherited" an African Grey. A co worker passed away last week and no one in the family could commit to caring for the Grey. So my family and I did. We have a noisy, obnoxious but lovable sun conure and three small dogs. My friend had a dog kennel with multiple small dogs of her own inside their house, as well as 5 other birds (quaker, cockatiel, turtle doves). So I know it's used to noise and commotion. I don't know much history regarding the Grey, except that my friend raised her from a chick. Not sure how old the bird is. Others have said that Claire wasn't handled that much and would definitely bite. My friends husband would handle her with a glove on.

My first question is concerning the transition to our household. Should we keep her in the main living area where we have the noisy conure and barking dogs? Or should we put her in a quieter area of the house?

We would love to be able to handle her in time. Any advice regarding that would be appreciated. I also worry about any "depression" that she might experience. I'm sure she'd been with my friend for at least a decade.

Hi, and thank you for homing this Grey. The road ahead is slow, with time being your best friend. Put the new baby in the living room with the rest of the family, be careful of the dog, I don't think your Sun will be a problem... Every time you walk by your Grey, stop and talk to her, sit and read, sing and spend general time with her. Don't worry about touching or handling for right now. When the time comes make sure you don't wear a glove, Greys don't get along with gloves....More to come.......

Jayd has given you some sound advice. Greys like to look around and then decide if this is safe, interesting and permanent it can take months or even years for them to feel at home. Although there are birds that will make me a liar and settle in quickly. Claire sounds like an interesting bird and I think you will learn a great deal from accepting her into your lives. give her space, time and gentle support with out asking for any thing back right now, let her lead any interaction. You will be slowly gaining her trust.

Hello Melba and welcome to our family.

Congrats on taking in Claire and giving her a new forever home. I agree with the others, time and patience is your best friend as you work with her, let her settle in and allow her to decide when she is ready to be interacted with.

She does need to be where the family spends most of their time when home so she will feel a part of the flock and yes if you can forget the gloves the better, just don't rush her, go at her pace.

H Melba, because you are asking questions, I know you will be a great parront! The only thing I can add is talk to your new friend. Greys are very intuitive and understand much more than anyone gives them credit for. Tell your grey what you are doing and do everything slowing but not fearfully. Greys read body language. What is your new companion's name?

The first week has gone well, I think. Claire is timid and easily scares. She will talk when there is a lot of noise in room, like doing dishes, etc. She mimics the previous owners husbands voice, especially when he would answer the telephone. It's a very deep male voice, which is funny. Lots of pretty whistles and calls (what I would call "jungle calls") She shows some preference towards me as opposed to my three teens and husband. She will let me pet her head and she will "beak" my finger. She hisses and growls at my husband, though. Especially when we are both around.

I've let her out twice. Only twice because it's difficult to get her back in cage. Today though, she did get on my hand, then walked to shoulder where she hung out for a while. We'll keep working at it.

She seems to be eating well and enjoys fruits and vegetables.

thanks again, any other advice is much appreciated!

Wow Melba, that is good interaction for just 10 days at your home. I suspect Claire's experience with men, namely with the previous owners husband and glove gave her a bad impression of male humans. But, even that can be reduced over time as well. :)

You're doing great. One word of caution. You describe Claire as timid and easily frightened. I would never allow a bird with that temperment onto my shoulder. Your ear and your cheek are at serious risk if something scares her. She probably wouldn't bite out of malice, but if she is startled she'll look to hang onto anything handy. Plus, you can't see her to read her body language when she is on your shoulder, and body language is the most effective way right now to read her mood. To keep her from climbing up to your shoulder keep her on your hand or wrist, and keep your hand higher than your elbow. That way she would have to climb down to your elbow. Climbing down like that goes against their instincts. As for getting her back into her cage, if it's at night get into a routine. Tell her it's time for bed, then start gradually dimming the lights in the room. Let her see you put a favourite treat in her food dish, (You may have to do some trial and error to find a treat that works for bribery). It may take some time, but she'll learn the routine and be more inclined to go back at night.