NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

leg rings

deedee

here a question i never thought id ask partly because i never thought id get close enough to her leg lol. im not sure how the rings on parrots legs work but when i got pepsi i was told she was 5 yrs and i have had a look on a couple of sites and they say its a different colour for each year well hers is red and has 96 wrote on it does that mean she was born in 1996 which would mean she is really 11 yrs and is there some way i can find out? thanks dee

You would probably have to contact the original breeder (if you knew who that was). They will usually have a way of deciphering what it says. Also the breeder could have bought way too many leg rings and used them for a long time after the original date.

Makena's leg ring says "Aloha, HI 573 '07". The breeder said the Aloha, HI signifies the bird was bred in Hawaii, the 573 was the birds ID while at the breeder, and the 07 indicates the year he was born. As far as I know there is no standard for leg rings. Good luck and I hope you are able to find out!

Hi deedee, does she have a closed ring ? or a split ring ? a closed ring is fitted when the greys are babies, a split ring can be fitted at any time & will look like it has been pushed closed with a pair of pliers. If it is a closed ring & a UK bird they generally have the year the grey hatched, the breeders initals & PSUK, if this is the case 96 would indicate the year she was born.Some breeders do not fit the colour specified, many fit satinless steel rings.

thanks Makena and lovemygreys it looks like she maybe 11 cause it looks like closed ring and says JW96:ohmy: , which would explain why i have found it so hard trying to make her my friend she will be set in her ways but we are getting there and her age doesnt matter to me she is still family. thanks for your help