NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Large dog crate as cage?

Does anyone use a (new) dog crate as a cage for a CAG? I keep hearing how height isn't as important as width and length. would a 36x24x27 cage with 1 1/2 inch bar spacing be humane and safe? the bird will not be spending much time in it (mostly at night). If not, I am trying to plan location for my new guy. our most central location does not offer enough darkness/silence for adequate sleep time. Will a cage cover really suffice, or is it best to have a small sleep cage in another location? what brand of cover works well for the larger cages? Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!

Does anyone use a (new) dog crate as a cage for a CAG? I keep hearing how height isn't as important as width and length. would a 36x24x27 cage with 1 1/2 inch bar spacing be humane and safe? the bird will not be spending much time in it (mostly at night). If not, I am trying to plan location for my new guy. our most central location does not offer enough darkness/silence for adequate sleep time. Will a cage cover really suffice, or is it best to have a small sleep cage in another location? what brand of cover works well for the larger cages? Thanks for sharing your experiences with me!

People don't usually use dog crates. The main reason is the type of metal that's used and the size which is mainly used for 4 legged animals. Yes, height isn't important but what that means is that certain parrots don't need a dome shaped cage whih makes a cage higher. Some birds do and some don't. A grey is fine if the roof is flat BUT height is important as far as the cage in general is concerned. The measurements you gave isn't for parrots. ****1 1/2 inch bar spacing ******** is wrong. The spacing should be 3/4 in to 1 in. Anything bigger could cause problems. A grey sized cage is about 36x by 28x by 50 to 55x high. Many people use a cage cover at night for sleeping. It can be a store bought cover or a simple sheet. During the day a grey needs exposure to what's going on all the time. A sleep cage can also be used. As far as silence, birds do get used to average sounds at night. Your definition of silence may be different thn another person's definition of silence.

So, invest in a proper type and size bird cage. There's loads of places to buy from and if you want loads of pics of cages for sale, go to EBAY. This is what an average cage looks like for a medium sized cage that's used for geys and other similar sized birds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/CopyofP1010041-1.jpg

Edited by Dave007