NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAG's and other Pet Birds!

Judo

Good Day!:)

As many of ya's know I'am in the process of buying a new Baby Female CAG from a Breeder. I also have two Gouldian Finches (Male and Female). I was told that CAG's will not talk if other birds are around them Is that true? I once owned a Male GAG that started talking at 4 Months. When he was over a year old he would talk a storm, but at that time I only had my CAG and no other pet Bird's except my German Shepherd. Also will it be OK if I keep the cages on the same side of the room? Or will I have to place my CAG's cage on the opposite side? My Gouldian Finches are not all that loud except the male sings a little and loves to perch on my finger whenever I place my finger in the cage.:)

Any Tips or Advise will be greatly appreciated;)

Thanks All!:)

Hi Judo,

You can place the Cages next to each other if that's how you wish to arrange the room.

In regards Greys not learning to talk if there are other birds in the room is probably coming from something you have read about actually caging them together in the same cage, not in separate cages in the same room.

It is suggested, by some, that if you house two Greys in the same cage, they may decide they like each other better than you and no longer need you for friendship or vocalizations with. They could lean towards just talking "Grey Language" and ignore you. They could also get to where they would not want any contact with you either.

This is not the case in your situation so your fine. :-)

Hi Judo, i have two greys housed together & one housed in her own cage,all three of mine talk & interact all the time with us humans ;)

I'm sure you will be fine, just air on the side of caution when your grey is out, perhaps put a towel on top of the finches cage so he cant get to them.

Hi Guru!!

Thank You for your tip and advise! Wow! Three African Grey's? How old are they and how do they get along? Do you spend quality time with them all? Do they get jealous? My German Shepherd use to get jealous of Rico and now with our two Gouldian Finches he lets us know that he wants attention!:)

I have a CAG, a set of Owl Finches, and a set of Star Finches...all in my bedroom! To tell you the truth my Grey loves the finches. He will scream at them from his "soap box" and play Godzilla on their cage :laugh:. The finches really don't mind him ether...they just continue on with their business like he isn't even there. I like having them in the same room because the noise they make all day...like you were saying the loudest finches get is when the males sing, but it's enough that he isn't in a dead quite room all day. I catch him sitting on his cage and watching them go from perch to perch in their flight cage, so it's also like Bird TV for the grey.

Judo wrote:

Hi Guru!!

Thank You for your tip and advise! Wow! Three African Grey's? How old are they and how do they get along? Do you spend quality time with them all? Do they get jealous? My German Shepherd use to get jealous of Rico and now with our two Gouldian Finches he lets us know that he wants attention!:)

Hi judo, two are brothers & are 9 months old, the other is a rescue, little girl & she is approx 15 months.They live in their own room.They are all tame & have daily interaction with humans ! They get along fine, i know im lucky & this may not be the case for everyone.My dog ignores them !

Hi BMustee,

Good to see that their are other Finches owners:) !! I'am pretty positive that my Grey will get along with them. At the time I had Rico (Male CAG)I had a Morris type Cat was 10 years old and my Baby German Shepherd. My Kids grew up with Sonic our old cat! Upon bringing Rico home sonic pretty much knew he was our pet so he did'nt mess with Rico. Rico never feared Sonic nor Luke my G.S. Male! When Rico started to talk he would say to Luke in a loud tone: "LUKE OUT"!!:)

Saddly Sonic passed away a year ago of old age and both my 21 year old Son and 17 Year Old daughter cried!!

Sonic was 12 years old when he passed away.

Thank You BMustee for your reply.:lol:

Judo:)

Hi Again lovemyGreys :)

Wow,You are blessed to have 3 tamed CAG's!

The Breeder of my soon to be Female Grey offered to sell me a male if I wished, But I decided to wait about 2 or 3 years! With (1) G.S. Police Dog, (2)Gouldian Finches and soon (1) Female CAG. I think that I have my hands full!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks lovemyGreys for all your Help!

Your Friend..Judo

In my house we have 3 female cats (Angel-18, Smitty-9, and Kitty-2), 2 pugs (Uggy and Tiny), and all my birds. Angel and Kitty are my cats; Smitty and the dogs are my dads. The CAG will "nip" at tails that get too close, and the cats learned that real quickly. The dogs Uggy didn’t know that if a tail is in beak range it's up for grabs. So the other night Uggy jumped up on my bed with the bird and me. She was wagging her little tail and it got the attention of the grey, so he went over and nipped it...not hard because the cats find it just annoying and will walk away after a few seconds, but the dog jumped and ran like a bat out of hell. The grey must have been proud of him self because he started doing the evil laugh.:evil:

Here's a video of my Grey talking with other birds in the room, proof LOL

Just keep in mind that Greys will talk when they want to. Just don't get your hopes up that it will ever talk. I have a friend with a Grey that is much older, and makes tons of sounds but has never uttered a human word!

Hi Loviechick,

Thanks for the video! How funny they are.:lol:

Your Grey loves to talk. I would still love my Grey even if She did'nt talk. The breeder of my first Male CAG did'nt think that he would talk because his Sister did'nt talk. Well about a month later he was saying a few words. His first word was; (PaPa). I told my breeder and he was Shocked!! But yea,I love animals and I would accept her even if she refused to talk. My Male finch stands on my finger. I was told that Finches normally don't bond with Humans.:whistle:

Thanks Loviechick:)

Hello jujubechan!!

I enjoyed looking at your photo album!:) Your Parrots are very Beautiful.;) You are blessed!! Although I enojoy having pet's and spending my free time with them, I'am sure that Lola (My future baby girl CAG) will be entertained watching my Gouldians while I'am at work:lol: Thanks jujubechan for your reply!!

JUDO:)