NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lighting question

itsjustnikki

Avian Sun is a good avian light source. There are many different manufactures that make great avian specific compact fluorescent and also tubes. I personally use dual Lumichrome 1xx 24 inch 32 watt tubes suspended above my birds cages. Each bird owner must determine which type of fixture, fluorescent and mounting provides the optimum exposure for their application and environment.

Here are a few other avian light manufacturers:

bioLIGHT LT48BE8 5000 K 98 OTT bioLightsystems

Lumichrome 1XC or XX 5000 K 96 Lumiram `

TL950 Series 5000 K 98 Philips Lighting

Vita Lite Supreme 5500 K 96 Duro-Test

Edited by danmcq

It is time for me to replace the bulb which is why I am asking. I am happy with the lamp stand, it has held up to Tango's abuses. If I happen to accidentally leave it too close to his cage and he can reach it he likes to try to grab it and try to climb on it or let it slam against the wall. So far it hasn't failed, so I don't want to fix what's not broken. So basically I am looking for another CFL bulb to put in there.

**I should mention that I have the old style lamp stand that I thought for sure was going to break after like 5 minutes. If you look at the reviews on amazon it gets like 1 star. Maybe I got the 1 out of 100 that isn't going to break, but I have to say I am satisfied!

Edited by itsjustnikki

I ended up getting a featherbrite bulb this time instead of the ZooMed this time. This bulb is way brighter than the ZooMed one and a few dollars cheaper!

We've stayed away from Featherbrite for a coupe of reasons:

Product Description

FeatherBrite 15w compact spiral fluorescent bulb, 5500k, 91 CRI, UVA 4%, UVB .05%. Guaranteed not to burn out before (1)one year. Standard socket base.

A Zoomed has much more UVB, it doesn't have to be placed as cloce to your parrot, also it is 29w [Watts], a lot stronger. This is the reason featherbrite has a lower cost.....

Featherbrite says to use there bulb during the brightest part of the day, Zoomed can be used in a windowless room....Sorry....Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd

I got the 20w featherbrite bulb from Bird Paradise in New Jersey. I checked with my vet and she said that the ZooMed 5.0 UVB is the same as 0.05% UVB in the featherbrite bulb, they just state it differently. I tried to email ZooMed to confirm this (mainly because I want to know why there would be such a huge difference.), but I haven't gotten a response.

I got the 20w featherbrite bulb from Bird Paradise in New Jersey. I checked with my vet and she said that the ZooMed 5.0 UVB is the same as 0.05% UVB in the featherbrite bulb, they just state it differently. I tried to email ZooMed to confirm this (mainly because I want to know why there would be such a huge difference.), but I haven't gotten a response.

The FeatherBrite 20 Watt Spiral Compact Bulb is a full spectrum bulb which has a color temperature of 5500K and a CRI of 91. UVA 4% UVB .05% This bulb cannot be used with a dimmable light fixture.

Replacement bulb for Zoo Med AvianSun Full Spectrum Lamp.

26 watts

5.0 UVB

UVA + UVB = True Full Spectrum Light.

This is Zoo Med response to my inquire:

The AvianSun 5.0 UVB provides UVB and UVA in levels that are comparable to what would be received in the shade outdoors. Zoo Med has found that this is a safe and effective level of exposure, and can be used to provide birds with a normal photoperiod, without providing too much UVB. If the level was the same as that of the sun, the lamp could only be left on for short periods of time. This lamp can be used for 8-10 hours per day to provide true full spectrum light – visible light, UVA and UVB.

AvianSun® 5.0 - 5% UVB Output, 30% UVA Output, FULL SPECTRUM.

Thank you. The Avian sun is 26w and the featherbrite is 20w, [AS IS 6W BRIGHTER] the featherbrite UVB is .05. as 5.0 that's a big difference, ..500th of a % compared to 5 full % Thats 500 % larger.....

Featherbrite says to use there bulb during the brightest part of the day, Zoomed can be used in a windowless room..Sorry to disagree with your vet..Thanks Jay

ZooMed did confirm that it is 5% UVB. But now I have found some other things that say it might be too much UVB for birds. I want to investigate this further because it has piqued my interest. I only asked the vet that I work at (who has birds but isn't boarded). I take Tango to a board certified Avian vet so I am going to talk with her about the different bulbs.

I have used the ZooMed for 3 years without a problem, but I don't know if I continue to use it long term will it have a negative effect. I never asked her about specific brands of bulbs, I just kind of went out and bought one.

The UVB output is fine. Five percent is pretty much the "Norm" in the avian lighting industry. The key is using the distance recommended by ZooMed. Too close an it would be too much, too far and could be significantly reduced or no UVB could be reaching Tango at all. The UVB increases or decreases exponentially as distance shortens or increases respectively.

One thing on any specifications is trying to determine which numerical representation a manufacturer uses. They can say 5 % not using any decimal places or .05 % which is 5 percent. For example .10 would be 10 percent etc. until reaching a value of 1 being 100% UVB.

I run in to these issues all the time in looking up electronic components and their specifications. They do not all use the same numeric standards sometimes, so I must be careful in assuming things or I could end up with a component that will not function according to our design specifications.

Edited by danmcq

ZooMed did confirm that it is 5% UVB. But now I have found some other things that say it might be too much UVB for birds. I want to investigate this further because it has piqued my interest. I only asked the vet that I work at (who has birds but isn't boarded). I take Tango to a board certified Avian vet so I am going to talk with her about the different bulbs.

I have used the ZooMed for 3 years without a problem, but I don't know if I continue to use it long term will it have a negative effect. I never asked her about specific brands of bulbs, I just kind of went out and bought one.

Thanks all and thank you, there's no one I respect more then some one who does reaserch...I've read the article by the gentleman who trashed Zoo Med, his is the only complaint on the www, he has no proof, the main complaint is weak stands....Thanks, Jayd

Edited by Jayd
added, more