NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To reinforce a behavior

Greywings

I read this quote from Kashmir Csaky who has worked with Parrots in depth. It does explain better than I am able about how reinforcing any behavior works both negative and positive. "Parrot behavioral tip for the day. What is a reinforcer? Most people think that a reinforcer is a reward or anything that the bird likes. Often time it is, but not always. Very frequently stimuli like yelling and other histrionics actually increase unwanted behaviors. A reinforcer increases the strength and duration of the behavior that it immediately follows. It increases the rate of future behavior in the same or similar circumstance. So, if a behavior continues it is being reinforced.

Using treats is the easiest way to teach and reinforce behavior. However, it is not the only way and there are many reinforcers that are more effective than food. Experiment with other possible reinforcers, such as the tone of your voice, touch, movement, toys, the list goes on and on. I learned that work, attention, especially awe, is highly reinforcing when I took two of my birds to an elementary school. They were doing tricks for the children and their behavior was eager and fluent. Then one of the children asked me, Why are you giving them food? They're dropping it all to the floor. I looked down and saw a pile of treats that had accumulated on the floor. We do not decide what is reinforcing for our birds. They decide what is reinforcing for them and it is not the same thing in every circumstance."

there are many reinforcers that are more effective than food. Experiment with other possible reinforcers, such as the tone of your voice, touch, movement, toys, the list goes on and on. I learned that work, attention, especially awe, is highly reinforcing"

Good post.

Dayo responds to voice tone fluctuation and praise. He will do many tasks he has learned just for the happy "Good Boy, Your so smart!".

This works better than any treat reward I tried at first years ago. For him praise and a sense of accomplishment just makes him feel like he has once again done something for the flock. He will learn almost anything for praise. Well, other than willingly take a bath or go to bed... :)

Edited by danmcq

I have never used treats for praising. I agree with it, but just never did it. Sophie enjoys my praising her behavior with snuggles and praise. Just this weekend, I was in the bathroom, didn't close the door tight enough. Found two dogs, as usual, in the bathroom with me. Told them " can I ever go to the bathroom in peace?" Sophie marched in. " Ollie, Zoey, out now!" They ran out, as they listen to everything she says. She was very proud of herself! Rom had bathroom time by herself, just with Sophie! LOL Nancy