NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Really noisy baby...help

Guest Nikita05

Guest Nikita05

Hi,

I recently bought a Congo African Grey who's 4 months old. I've had him for about 3 weeks now but during the last week or so he's been making these constant squeaks which are loud and piercing. He does this when he's in his cage, when he's walking around the house, climbing his jungle gym, eating his fruit and veggies, while we're playing with him and while we're talking to him. When he can't see or hear me then the noise stops after a while but then as soon as he hears my voice, he starts the squeaking again. He also doesn't play with any of his toys. I just need to know whether this is normal?

Welcome the forum. :)

Your Grey is an infant still. It could be he is not weaned. Is he eating foods such as sees, nuts, pellets or veggies and fruit? If so, I suspect those baby cheeps you are hearing is for want of formula and to be fed a nice hot meal with a spoon. I would suggest contacting the breeder you purchase him from and see what formula they used. You can just prepare a small amount and feed using a teaspoon. You could also just make oatmeal and feed it to pacify the babies needs for a warm meal. Some greys will like a formula or hot cereal their entire lives, most don't though.

So, try feeding your baby a warm meal. :)

Great advice from Dan. When I first brought my 5 month of CAG home, the breeders gave me formula feeding lessons and a good supply of formula the young CAG had been weaned on. Although he ate other foods voraciously, the breeders wanted to make sure he did not, because of the "big" change in environment and missing other siblings, revert back to wanting formula. I fed formula before bedtime for a couple of days until he would just fly away because he felt he was now in the big world.

I too have one that crouches down flipping his wing like a baby for some warm mushy steamed and mashed acorn squash, and he is 6 years old! Or oatmeal or cream of wheat... You can't just put it in a bowl either, he wants hand fed with a spoon by God! Lol (Bubba)

Edited by murfchck