NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Loosing feathers, big ones!

DanielaWelborn

You all know about my bathroom renovation project (hopefully coming to an end tomorrow). Jellybean is upset over that, at the same time he has been molting. Or what I believe is molting.

What upsets me right now is that he lost two large grey feathers on different days. I will find them after he takes a flight. There is the occasional fluffy one after he preens.

How do I tell the difference between molting and plucking?

You all know about my bathroom renovation project (hopefully coming to an end tomorrow). Jellybean is upset over that, at the same time he has been molting. Or what I believe is molting.

What upsets me right now is that he lost two large grey feathers on different days. I will find them after he takes a flight. There is the occasional fluffy one after he preens.

How do I tell the difference between molting and plucking?

He's losing flight and covert feathers ( depending on length). He's not molting. That'll periodically happen all year long when those long feathers die. Theres no set time when it'll happen. It'll happen for the rest of his life. What you're doing has nothing to do with his losing feathers. It's just a coincidence.