NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Don't teach whistling?

chezron

Please give me reasons why my husband should refrain from continuing to teach our Grey whistling instead of talking. I have read, I think, on this forum, that they would rather whistle than talk. If that is the case, I need talking points to convince my husband to stick to words.

My CAG, Sterling Gris, made sounds and whistled before he talked. He is now 2 and talks up a storm. He also can carry a tune. Frankly now that he talks, he no longer whistles but he still barks, rings like a phone, coughs and makes other obnoxious household sounds. I believe greys make the sounds and noises they like and that includes human words which are basically sounds too.

I have to disagree with the theory that whistling impedes speech. Like what luvparrots shared about Stirling Gris--Gracie and I whistled together before any words were spoken. Now that she speaks, she whistles much less often. When she was 5 and 6 months old Gracie would imitate my whistles. I think that began our communication. When she developed to where speech was possible, words naturally followed. I say whistle away!

Edited by JeffNOK

Nope, I can't give you a reason to not whistle. Whistling is fine and shouldn't impact talking behaviour negatively. In fact, a grey that has yet to learn to talk will be able to imitate whistles and noises long before being able to articulate words, making later talking easier and usually mastered earlier. Greys will imitate what they choose to, whether it's a whistle, words, noise, door bell, telephone, whatever. Once they figure out the context of words to actions, then my greys have typically shunned repeating the random noises and whistles, opting instead to ask for treats or to let me know it's bed time.

Now, if you're looking for ammunition against your husband whistling, then I'm sure someone will be able to help ;)

As others have said, whistle and sound reproduction is what they do before picking up human speech. It is the only way they can communicate. They have the wolf whistle for example as a seeming instinctual whistle along with their various cheeps, chirping and panting. Dayo learned very quickly for example, when the phone rang, we went and got it immediately. Guess what he used to indicate he wanted us to come and get him? The Phone ring perfectly calibrated. I whistled to Dayo from the beginning, like andy griffith tune and many others. However, I also talked to him in simple terms describing every food item I gave him, what I was doing etc. from day one. As others have said, they will start using words to tell you exactly what they want. Like want apple (dayo's first food item request), then came want carrot, cheese etc. The flood gates of communication open and then they never seem to stop as they continue building their vocabulary.

Now I will say, they also come to know, that when you are out of the room they are in, we do not hear them using using words. So guess what they can do at ear piercing unbelievable decibel levels? Whistles and Sounds!! Now the down side to this, is if you ever live in an apartment, it will probably drive your neighbors crazy and start complaining. Thus the cautions here on this forum that has been posted in various threads on teaching whistles. That is the only draw back to adding more whistles to your greys arsenal. Dayo is so loud, that when he hears my car pull in the driveway and I get out, I hear him whistling away with contact calls. They can be heard well past the sidewalk 30 feet in front of my house. Now that is many decibels to achieve and if you were standing in the same room when he did it, I guarantee you it would make your ears ring. :)

Edited by danmcq

Please give me reasons why my husband should refrain from continuing to teach our Grey whistling instead of talking. I have read, I think, on this forum, that they would rather whistle than talk. If that is the case, I need talking points to convince my husband to stick to words.

Well I've talked about this a few times in the past but I never said that excessive whistling will overtake it's ability to talk so I don't know who you're refering to.. I only said that teaching whistling isn't necessary because eventually that grey will become a natural whistler all by itself. Most greys do this. They do it before learning to talk and they do it after they learn how to talk. About the only greys that don't do this are very young greys that haven't yet learned that they can whistle. Once they realize they can, there's no stopping them. They're known as one of the best whistlers in the parrot world. With many greys, whistling is prefered to yelling or screeching. That's why it's known that they make ideal small apartment parrots. Neighbors don't usually get annoyed by a parrot who's whistling.

Well there can be a problem. Sterling Gris whistles very loud and when we are outside in the sun he wolf whistles at the young wife that lives next door. It is very cute to watch her straighten up while mowing the lawn and look around for the "guy" whistling at her. I haven't the heart to tell her its only my grey!

I first bonded with Misty around seven years ago by whistling back what I believed was his contact call. We still use it when I am out of the room he is in and first thing in the morning when he hears me getting up. We also have "concerts" where he starts of with a few notes that I repeat back. He calls a few notes more and then looks at me to say it is my turn. The tune gets more and more complex until I just can't keep up any more. At that point he often laughs at me as if to mock my incompetence. His whistling has in no way substituted for his English language communication with me but I am certain that besides being pleasurable for both of us it helped us bond and establish that we are flock companions. Some of his tunes are very melodious. A few are clearly based on music he has heard on the radio or stereo. He never screeches or makes the objectionable noises that some parrots are prone to make. People who tell you that whistling will stall your Greys talking ability are simply wrong in my opinion.

Steve n Misty

It is so funny that Brutus doesn't contact call. When we leave he just says something like, "See you in a little while" and that's it. When he hears the garage door he just waits until we come in to say hello. We work out in the yard quite a bit, and while he can often see us, he doesn't call. He is just calm and watches when he can. So weird!

Whistling is not just an opportunity to bond... but Sophie can do a whistle, that show's she is " NOT pleased!" When I go to change, she wants me to come see her first, as Kiki can fly up and land on my bed while I do so. Sophie will whistle her " displeasure", while I am changing. I tell her... " I'm coming!" Usually that has always worked, but now Sophie is feeling she needs to fly up to my room as her flying abilities are becoming great. She made it up the stairs the other day. Walked down the hallway calling " Rom?" I was sooooo proud of her! Kiki was on my bed. I think Kiki was as proud of her as I was! It was all about Sophie and her accomplishment. Nancy

Guess what?! I have noticed that Brutus is chilling out a lot more lately, and that includes not talking as much. He just seems really comfortable. Anyway, the other night I thought I would "ask" him to talk more. As I was putting him to bed I said how much I enjoyed him talking, and that he was a very good talker, and I asked him to talk more tomorrow. Well the next day he wouldn't shut up! It was so funny. He was hauling out phrases he hasn't said in quite awhile. They really do listen. I know he loves his Mama and wants to please her.