NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Clipping

Cinnyminis

When I picked Radar up from the breeder, we did a mini clip of his wings. He was 12 weeks old then. He is about 17 weeks now and the tips have grown most of the way back. He keeps leaping off his playstand and flying into a mirror. I need to do another mini clip on him for his own safety. However, he no longer willing lets me manipulate his wings and I have no other adult in the house to help me. I am also worrying about him getting angry with me about doing something he wont like. How do I get around this and clip him? I have been slowly insisting on handling his wings this week, but I am still so nervous about it.

Beth

Before reclipping him, you may wanna think about him developing his muscle strength and coordination. In my opinion, birds shouldn't be clipped so young in the first place. Not allowing him learn how to fly correctly isn't good for a bird's future life. If you do need to clip him, wait until he has that strength and coordination which takes a few mts. Also move that mirror so he can't see himself. In his eyes, it's another grey.

The mirror is not where he can see it, but he knows it exists. He also knows a mirror exists in teh bathroom down the hall. He frequently takes off at a run for the bathroom and stands on the floor chirping until we pick him up to see. The reason why we did a mini clip before (only outside 3 feathers) was to slow him down. He was still able to fly. I am just concerned about him flying into the mirror.

Greys learn what a mirror or window is very quickly if you introduce them to them. If you pick them up and show them the mirrors and windows. Interact with them in the mirror for example and tell them it's and him, let him tap the mirror etc. Same thing with windows. Take them up to them and talk about what you see outside, let them tap on them etc. I will say on large glass area's like sliding glass doors, I put little semi clear stick on's on them to sure our birds knew it was in the way. After about six months, I took them off and they know it is there and will not try to fly through it. Rather than clip, why not "Teach" what mirrors and windows are? :)

Get rid of the mirrors! 17 weeks is all about learning to fly, developing muscle strength. Practice flying between two adults. If just you... you can do it! If you clip a grey when too young as your bird is... it may take years... or never happen... for them to learn how to fly. I am a believer in trimming... but any young grey never taught correctly, may never fly again. Sophie adopted at age two, truly clipped, is now learning to fly at age 12. We have worked with her for years.... has recently decided to try to fly like our Amazon. Nancy

People seem to go to great lengths to baby proof their home. I've heard the term puppy proof many times. People even modify their homes with cat and dog friendly features like dog doors and kennels. So why not birds? I think we need to start using fledgling proof when talking about bringing home a new bird. I would change my home long before I change my bird. Decals on mirrors and windows has worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...
People seem to go to great lengths to baby proof their home. I've heard the term puppy proof many times. People even modify their homes with cat and dog friendly features like dog doors and kennels. So why not birds? I think we need to start using fledgling proof when talking about bringing home a new bird. I would change my home long before I change my bird. Decals on mirrors and windows has worked for me.

Excellent and accurate response....................Thanks Jayd