NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breeding my Grey....

jame2013

I have my female grey for a while now, about 1 year and half. She is 8 year now. She lay egg in the past. Now i don't have much time with her since i got a job change. Working 8-9 hour a day and only have 1-2 hour to spent with her after work. I'm thinking of getting a male to entertain her when i gone for work. Is she too old for breeding or just at the right age just need time to bond with the new male.

Do you guy think it a good idea. Maybe in the future i can get some baby.....

Even 1 to 2 hrs a day isn't enough time to spend with a grey. Dealing with a breeding pair of greys takes a lot of hard work and constant attention needs to be given. Medium to large sized parrots are completely different then very small birds that breed and hatch clutches without any human intervention. It costs lots of money to breed them plus a lot of equipment is needed which is also expensive. There's a good chance that the 2 birds won't like each other. The personality of a breeding bird can change quickly towards the owner. Lots of experience is needed when dealing with breeding birds but most importantly here is-----

Your bird has been a pet and pet birds are totally different than breeding birds. Breeding birds aren't usually pets. Pet birds don't make good breeders. I would say , forget that idea because you're biting off much more than you can chew.