NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about DNA sexing

kitt4kaz

I have a 6 month old Timneh that we have had since he was 10 weeks old. We do not know his sex but I think I would like to know.

My question is how is the best way to go about getting it done? We live in a very rural area with no avian vet within 2 hours of us. My breeder referred me to an online testing kit that I can order. But how I am supposed to get blood from him or feathers. I am afraid to do anything on my own in fear of harming him.

Any advice?

Thanks

Edited by kitt4kaz

This is the company the breeder recommended. So please walk me through exactly how to pluck them. I don't want to hurt him. He won't bleed from plucking chest feathers, will he? Just use a set of tweezers and do a quick pull? I am nervous. Can't you tell? He is my baby!

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, just use tweezers to pluck a couple of small chest feathers. Any bleeding would be pretty much nothing from this. You may need to towel you grey to do this. If you do not wish a perhaps scary event to be associated with you, you could take your grey to an avian vet and get it done and a check up if one has not been done yet. :)

Yes, just use tweezers to pluck a couple of small chest feathers. Any bleeding would be pretty much nothing from this. You may need to towel you grey to do this. If you do not wish a perhaps scary event to be associated with you, you could take your grey to an avian vet and get it done and a check up if one has not been done yet. :)