NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My African Grey worse after visit to vet??

My Luigi, a Timneh flew off his perch in the house last weekend a hurt his ankle after landing on the floor. Took him to the vet yesterday and now he can't stand and looks worse. He was given a b-12 shot and metacam. Anyone have any similar experience with this medication? I'm very worried, he cannot balance himself on a perch and can't walk or stay on my shoulder. He is 11 years old. I'm taking him to another vet tomorrow that is in another state who is an official Avian Vet. :(

Avian vets are specially trained because birds are a unique physiology & it's pretty delicately balanced. I think Metacam was used as a pain killer. The vet you saw may have over prescribed it or underestimated the injury. So your fid may be having a hard time balancing. I'd suspend dosing until you see the new vet tomorrow.

Try to keep everyone as calm as possible. Remember our emotions are contagious for our fids. Best to keep your baby as warm as possible tonight. About 85 F is ideal. Also, keeping him as still as possible may help keep him from further injury. If he'll tuck in on your arm, that might be ok til bedtime.

If he's comfortable in his travel cage, it might be good a good place for him to sleep. Ideally, having him on the ground is safest. But birds don't like to be flat footed. It may upset him &/or he may try to climb, defeating the effort.

If he really won't settle otherwise, you might try taking all but a low perch out of his cage. Put it as close to the bottom as the bars will allow. A branch or possibly Comfy Perch or even ladder might be easier to grip than a dowel. Add something like a blanket to cushion the bottom. Make sure all food & water dishes are w/in reach & cover the cage to let him sleep if he's comfortable w/a cover. Otherwise, lights off & no activity where it might disturb him. Either way, peek in on him occasionally thru the night. Call the vet if something concerns you between now & his appointment.

Very, very good call to make that second appointment! Never be afraid to follow your instincts if you have a reason to question a vet. Very often, you know your fid best.

I'm very sorry to hear about all of this. Good luck tomorrow. Please keep us posted, ok?

Edited by birdhouse

When our CAG injured his wing by flying into a wall at the breeders a day or so before he was coming home to me, he was put on Metacam for pain and was on it for a few days after he was with me. Also his brother was on Metacam when he was with me and we didn't see any balance problems. Our dog injured his hip and back about six months ago and he was prescribed Metacam as well and he was on in as needed for about twelve weeks and we didn't see any balance problems. As I understand it, it is like an over the counter NSAID for inflammation and pain, no narcotics or anything like that. I am with you on taking him to an Avian vet to have his leg evaluated, his balance may be more related to not being able to tolerate his weight on his injury. Birdhouse has good advice for you. It is always better to trust your instincts since you know Luigi best. If it turns out that his injury doesn't need specialized treatment, you will at least have a contact with this avian vet for future reference and be able to call to get advice as your treat this leg injury. When you make the appointment ask about the Metacam dosage. Once that is verified to be accurate, the vet may advise giving it to him to keep him more comfortable in the car on the way, or may advise not to give it to him as not to mask symptoms on evaluation.

I am sorry to hear Luigi has injured his leg. An avian vets attention is certainly needed. I hope Luigi is at least stable today and look forward to hearing what the diagnosis and treatment is. I am with others on stopping the metacam until the avian is seen. It is widely used by vets and avian vets, but all creatures just like humans body react differently. It can cause internal bleeding and also internal organ failure amongst other issues.

Edited by danmcq

Metacam is not only a pain reliever often prescribed for birds it also is an anti inflammatory to help reduce the swelling and bruising associated with blunt trauma in this case. Your bird is most likely having difficultly blancing on one leg when used to using both to get around it takes a little time to adjust to his situation. Any questions do call your Vet.

Thank you so much for your advice. I kept him in a small box last night to keep him from climbing and falling all over the place. He definitely did not like being flat footed. This morning I put his perch very low and he seems more comfortable. Thank You again for the info. I'm on my way to see the avian vet. Your suggestions are great. I will follow them. You are so right about the emotions I'm in distress and feel helpless. Will keep you posted.

So sorry I haven't been on my computer til now. We had a rough couple of days, Luigi is still not doing too well. The Avian Vet was wonderful, she quickly diagnosed him and after x-rays and blood work, told me he had deformities in his pelvis, legs and joints. The recent fall made matters much worse. She said it was probably due to poor nutrition when he was a baby. She prescribed 6 medications. She said the Metacam I was given for him was not meant for birds. Meloxicam is what she prescribed in addition to Tramadol, Milk Thistle/Dandelion combo, Clavamox, Fluconazole and Vitamin C. He also has a sinus infection. I had no idea all this was going on with my baby. His wings are also not good, this also explains his inability to fly very straight and his tendency to fall. Her suggestions were very similar to what Birhouse told me. Thank you all for your concern and knowledeable and useful information.

Birds hide their symptoms. You probably couldn't have known what was going on before now. And you did everything you could once you had a reason to suspect something was wrong.

But hopefully you've found a great new vet. You've also found Grey Forums. There is an incredible amount of information here & members from all over the world w/all different types of knowledge & experience.

You & Luigi are part of our flock now. Hope you'll keep posting when you have time or if you've got any questions, or just want to share w/a very large bunch or grey-o-holics who really do get it.

Edited by birdhouse

Thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear of his somewhat crippling and limiting deformities in his pelvis, legs and joints.

Did your avain vet mention perhaps keeping all perches lower and the bottom padded etc. to ensure he does not have any possible injuries or broken bones due to the deformities? If so, could you share what the avian vet advised?

One thing about a disabled grey, is it does not mean in anyway that they are not bright and a great companion to share your life with. :)

I am so sorry you have gotten some disheartening news. Hopefully with your good care Luigi will be comforted and have a chance to heal the recent injuries. Gosh, it is a lot to take in all of the sudden. He will build up strength again with the medications he is taking and be feeling better. My heart is with you as you have been such a trouper to get Luigi the help he needed.

Poor little Luigi has certainly had more than his share of difficulties but so glad you took him to that vet, she sounds like she knows more about what she is doing and I certainly thank you for updating us on him. Val, aka Birdhouse has given you some sound advice, none of us here are vets but a few of the members do have quite a lot of experience, please keep us informed as we care about Luigi.

Lower perches are a great idea. I have one with a bum leg, her cage looks like a highway with all the perches, lots of different sizes too. Big fat ones that allow her to lay down to skinny ones for her to really grasp. It is really hard to hear a diagnosis like that, but your vet sounds wonderful and now you know what you two are facing. Together, i do not doubt, you guys will overcome all obsticals!