NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African grey sleeping habit.

bellashuman

Hi, newbie here with a quick question.

We recently had a baby grey given as the owner couldn't cope with it. We already have a grey just over two years old, but the one I'm asking about is a little over 18 weeks old.

We put them both to bed at the same time at night and the two year old sleeps up on a perch, the younger one sleeps on the bottom of the cage. Does anyone have any idea why the baby does this? is this just a natural behaviour?

We also have trouble getting the two year old to accept bath time, if anyone can give hints on how to get the bird to accept baths, we'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

babies will make their own decisions whether to sleep on the bottom of the cage or a perch. Whats most important, is sticking to a bedtime that is reasonable and acceptable for the entire family. 8pm is our bedtime. Nowadays, they put themselves to bed at this time. I wish I could help you with bathtime, but Sophie HATES water. Nancy

As has been said by Nancy greys can be different in their sleeping preferences, most seem to perfer perching but some like to be on the bottom of the cage, some will even use a sleeping hut, I wouldn't worry about it.

There are several threads in the Health room about bathing our greys, several methods are discussed so you might get some help with the bathing problem from them.

I would suggest you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us more about you and these two greys.

Guest candismalli

when my Charley was a baby he slept at the bottom of the cage, then moved to sleeping on a low perch, and gradually moved to a high perch where he sleeps now

Yes... after getting to know your baby... being on the bottom of a cage can suggest illness. Different from a baby liking to sleep on the bottom of a cage. Its hard to differentiate the difference for a new parent. Thats why we are here to help. Anytime a bird is listless, short of breath, is an emergency situation. When in doubt, it is an emergency situation. Nancy