NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Romeo Update!

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

Hey guys its been forever... I missed you all!

Was insanely busy with the holidays. Well Romeo is fitting in very well, but he sure is a fickle mistress. I am pretty pumped though because I am the favorite now! First it was my mom (and now he wont even let her pet him) then it was Richard, now its me. Me and Romey spend a ton of time together now, my husband is on a new shift at work and Romeo (along with the rest of the zoo) are my only company, he comes and sits on the table (bad bad I know) and we share dinner every night. He is also saying full sentences now. Another thing is he refuses to be alone, he is happy to be in the same room doing his own thing, we are now working at bringing him into the action. The other day he refused to let me bath in peace and knocked on the door until I let him in, then he peeped until I picked him up and let him hang out on the bathtub (while i was in it of course).

He is the most amazing bird though, he is everything I thought he would be and more (and we are out of the honeymoon stage to!) He is smart and independent, gentle even when he is angry if we pet him when he doesn't want it he will nip at us but gently. And he is loud very loud when he wants attention, but my husband use to work overnights and he said he could hear Romey playing with his toys but he never made any real noise when my husband slept during the days.

Romeo has it pretty good too though I must say, he never has any shortage of interesting things to watch, he gets his chop and his pellets everyday, he has two cages, and we try hard to include him in things. I find Romeo much more to be a roommate almost then a pet.

We all can not wait for summer we want to get Romeo a nice travel cage so he can come places with us, my mom who very much disliked the though of birds as pets wants to us to move Romeos second cage to her house so Romey can come when we visit, right now we cant do that though because his second cage is where he hangs out in our basement when we are down there with us.

Here are two pictures of us hanging out together

profilepic_zps8a4b18e8.jpg

romeyandme-1_zpsb78cdf54.jpg

Guest Jocelyn

Romeo still cant fly at all, he cant even glide yet :( Anything I can do to help him along with that process? We got him in September and have not touched his feathers since.

Wow, it sounds like things having gone very well for Romeo and you along with your family. It is always wonderful to hear of a relationship develop like this and a grey becoming considered as a family member, not a pet! :)

The photos are wonderful. In regards flight, those primaries will slowly start molting out and full primaries coming in. As they do, lift will grow exponentially. Once he starts gaining distance, you will need to be careful with windows and mirrors by putting little stickies that are visible and introducing him to them if you have not already started.

Someone posted here a day or two ago that it can take two years for a clip to fully grow out. Timber had a light clip when I brought him home this past June. After his bath yesterday, he was on top of the cage flapping his wings and could barely hold on, so I am assuming he is getting some "lift" back?

Someone posted here a day or two ago that it can take two years for a clip to fully grow out. Timber had a light clip when I brought him home this past June. After his bath yesterday, he was on top of the cage flapping his wings and could barely hold on, so I am assuming he is getting some "lift" back?

I believe that was me. :) When we brought Dayo home from the breeders, they would not let him go with out a clip. We were very good friends with them and yet even with all our plea's from the beginning that we did not ever want him clipped, they start insisted. They did do a "Light Clip" and he could still fly about 20 feet as he slowly lost altitude as he progressed. It sounds like Timber is building those breast muscles and they do when fledging by holding on and flapping like a mad man. Thats wonderful! You can also get a step-up, clamp their talons with your thumb and move them up and down encouraging them to flap. Note:This should be done with a happy attitude and excited voice so it is not a fearful experience for them. One other thing we did with Dayo was place T Stands and boings in locations just close enough that he soon learn if he launched and flapped like a mad man, he could make it from one to the other to get to where he wished to go from room to room. As his muscles built up, he could maintain altitude further and further.

It was close to Dayo being two years old before the last pair of primaries molted out and then came in as full feathers. I suspect because it was a light clip, they never bothered or irritated him and thus just molted out in there appointed time.

Edited by danmcq

Romeo looks great. Glad to hear you are in his good graces. Sharing food is a great bonding experience. We let ours eat at the table with us and even if they aren't out there, I put aside something they can have and walk in to their cage to give them a bit before I eat. I love how he has drawn your mom in and is getting his own setup at "grandma's house". When we brought home our first parrot it was quite a surprise to realize they are not like any other pet, more of a companion and now, I can only hope to be their equal. Coming in to the bath is pretty funny, Gilbert still isn't that friendly even with his favorite buddy.