NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sophie finally able to fly

kins2321@yahoo.com

Past history, Sophie adopted at age two, fully clipped. A true " plop!" Grew her feathers, but did trim them so she could fly within three rooms. ( for the groomer, that was basically clipping the air). She has been fully flighted for over a decade, but I'd give her a C for true flying ability. Lately, she has been watching Kiki our Amazon fly. ( she's amazing). Whenever Kiki flies out to family room, Sophie follows. When Kiki leaves, Sophie follows. I noticed two weeks ago, a difference in Sophie's takeoff. More like Kiki's. I didn't think about it again, but since boys home, she has more free time and what a difference! For the first time today, she flew up to Kiki's favorite window. Sophie has NEVER been able to land in a window high up. I'm so proud of my little girl Nancy

Congrats! It seems since Sophie did not develop the neural synapses for flight when young and clipped, that she just did not have the mental attitude that she could do advanced flight maneuvers. But through the inspiration of watching Kiki do something she truly wished to do, she tried and succeeded. It does bring joy to our hearts when we see or winged wonders perform these "Firsts". Thanks for sharing this. I'll bet Sophie was doing the happy dance when she made the landing. :)

I am certainly smiling! LOL! Sophie has been doing a happy dance past 24 hours. Sitting in Kiki's window.... oops! Kiki AND Sophie's window,,, singing like crazy. I can tell she is proud of herself.I'm concerned that she feels very empowered and sure of herself, I'm worried she may get hurt. When I get home, I open birdroom door. I go upstairs to change. Kiki follows me many times. Sits on my bed while I change. Sophie tried to do this today, landed 3/4 up. Sat on the stairs until I got her. ( right away of course, told her how proud I was of her). Thinking I should reverse everything. Change first, then open birdroom door. Nancy

While Sophie has always been our flock leader over three birds of different origins, she has always been fair. I think Kiki knows Sophie is wanting to learn how to fly better. Lots more takeoffs and landing for Kiki. She doesn't need to practice. Its new behavior for her. I think she is really trying to help Sophie. When Kiki takes off, so does Sophie. A room or two away, Kiki lands and waits for Sophie. A few minutes later, Kiki takes off again, Sophie follows. I know just by sound, who is flying into family room. Sophie three wings to Kiki's one. Now I can't tell whom is coming. Sophie is adopting Kiki's flight pattern 100% with serious results. While I am very proud of Sophie, I am proud of Kiki even more. Nancy