NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Grey... Progress made at last

spjchick

I posted on the introduction page back around the beginning of december. My new Grey, Pippin, arrived at the airport on Dec 6th. At first I have to admit that I thought maybe I had made a mistake. What arrived in the travel carrier just growled and screamed. When I got home I had to take the lid off the carrier and set it inside her cage because I did not dare reach my hand in there. Truly, she sounded like a demon. Getting her back in the carrier to go to her vet appointment was a chore because she did not want to have anything to do with me. With patience I finally got her to get in the carrier without breaking her trust in me. I knew she was terrified and my heart was broken because I felt guilty getting her. I mean one day she is playing in the sun in Tampa, the next day she is on an airplane going to cold st louis.

At first she would growl anytime I got near her cage. I would try and coo and baby talk to calm her down and she would lunge at me. With much perseverance and love I slowly walk up to her cage and sweet talk to her while she was eating. Eventually she would accept rides from me if she flew off of her cage, but as soon as she got back to her cage she would growl. I tried treats and bribery with food. I tried playing with my other birds in front of her so she could see that I am not something to be feared.

Today, almost exactly 1 month after getting her, she climbed to her playtop, looked at me and said, "step up." I walked over and she stepped up to my hand, then she said, "don't bite." I almost cried. Of course her voice was a little garbled but I could clearly hear her say those words.

I actually feel relieved. I knew that a grey would be a different kind of companion from anything I ever had, but I really had no clue how much so. I think with more patience we will make progress on other little milestones. I have to introduce her to the shower and other things, but I think things will really work out fine. I know I have not posted much on this site, but that does not mean that I am not reading here every few days. All the advice the members have given others, and your postings have helped me immensely. Thank you! I think Pippin and I will do just fine!

Believe me when I was introduced to my TAG, I was concerned if I had taken on too much. As time goes on those moments of concern get fewer and fewer as the worries are replaced by successful interactions. Pippin is doing really well in just a month to get adjusted. She is very clever little girl and as she sees how pleased you were with her "step up" and "don't bite" I am guessing she will be watching and learning and soaking in everything you say to get another dose of that joyful moment.