NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello!! From Katy, Tx

jke97

Hello,

I have a 3 yr old TAG..his name is Jasper! I have had him since he was 5 months. I also have a 10 yr old u2. My grey has recently started biting his cage or I call it "pinging" because that's what it sounds like..ping,ping..driving me crazy, he's never done anything like this before, and it's not just every now and again..it's alot! Any thoughts or ideas is appreciated. I'm also very excited I found a site like this.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I have a 3 yr old TAG..his name is Jasper! I have had him since he was 5 months. I also have a 10 yr old u2. My grey has recently started biting his cage or I call it "pinging" because that's what it sounds like..ping,ping..driving me crazy, he's never done anything like this before, and it's not just every now and again..it's alot! Any thoughts or ideas is appreciated. I'm also very excited I found a site like this.

Thanks again!

Try to interrupt this behavior and replace it with a less distrubing behavior. Install a bell on the top of his cage – when he does the bad behavior try to entice him into playing with something new.

Greys are inteligent – try rotating toys in and out, re-locating perches, changing the location of things attached to interior of cage – provide some mental stimulation.

Grey parrots require a surrogate ‘bad guy’ to beat up. Sounds like yours is using that part of the cage to satisify this basic instinct. In the wild they would be chasing off undesirable other birds from stealing nest materials or food. In a cage – you need to provide a villian for them to beat on. Wood toys are good. Hard metal bells are better. New toys are a good idea. Hard mineral blocks are good.

Hello Jke and welcome to our family.

Oh they love to find something annoying to us and he can tell by your reaction that you do not like the sound but it is entertaining to him, like the others have said you need to find something else to distract him to and Dave's suggestion of a bell is the best one. Greys love bells and a heavy stainless steel one is the answer, no grey should be without one as they love to ring it and at times they will fight it with gusto trying to beat the hell out of it.

Be sure to browse thru the threads as you will find lots of useful information, answers to questions you never thought to ask and if you do have any questions feel free to ask us anything.

Pictures are always welcomed if you have some of Jasper and even the U2.

Welcome and thanks for joining us. We have a TAG with an estimated age of about eleven. He also does this ping thing. He usually does it when he is annoyed and it did help a lot when he did the ping, I would go ring the bell and he would copy that. Just a few minutes ago, he went and grabbed his bell and shook the stuffing out of it and postured a little and got it out of his system for the moment. He will also go to the cage playtop and lean against the wall with his beak and make a big snapping noise. I think he just gets pleasure from making a big noise so if you and find one that you like better as a substitute he may forget the ping for a while.

They are very creative in finding new ways to make a big noise. God to see another Houston area Texan on here so welcome neighbor. Our Greys love to beat up bells especially, Smokey Joe enjoys hanging upside down karate kicking with one foot while supporting himself with the other. Yes he can get so carried away destroying the enemy bell that he looses his grip and falls to the cage bottom. Pookie gets very wound up killing her designated enemy that she gets quite the workout then sits calmly under the enemy toy and makes it rub her head by swinging it back and forth while she sits under it and holds her head just so.

Welcome how did we miss each other, we just moved from Katy to Sugar land. I have been into birds my entire life it seems and am always looking for new bird friends that are local. We started a little club kinda sorta where we try to get together monthly or so and either make toys together or bake birdie stuff. If you interested we need to add you to our group.