NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

food bowl

KatieUsher

Greys love nothing more than tossing bowls and listening to them clang and bang as they hit. Most cages have bowls locked in place once the bowl holder door is closed. In cases where that is not the case, the solution is normally to go buy heaving ceramic bowls and place them on the bottom of the cage where they normally do not poop. You do need to watch the bowls through to ensure they do not need dumping and cleaning should they get pooped in.

Unless you have weight lifter Grey like Smokey Joe who delights in lifting and dumping his heavy rabbit style crock that even I have a hard time wedging into the food dish spot. There is always placing the food dish on the floor of the cage but not under a perch or other spot where the droppings usually fall. They often ground feed in the wild so it would be a natural approach. You could even make a tub with sand or corncob pellets inside to hide some of his food making him forage for it and some foot type toys..

The bowl dumping is normal in our house! I have gotten baby hanger clips and clip it on the bowl and ring that's on their stand. They still can pull the bowls out but it lasts a whole 5 minutes longer than it would without them! Lol ( the clips are not tight fitting so they can not hurt themselves with them, pointless i know, but they like that extra challenge!)

Greys love nothing more than tossing bowls and listening to them clang and bang as they hit.

hmm, wally must be weird then ;)

I was switching his bowls for clean ones, dropped one on the other outside the cage and he seemed to freak out like ... "whoa, you scared me", didn't seem to enjoy it at all LOL

it must be they need to make the sound themselves, or else it just startles them

Edited by mrsray