NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm a little sad :(

jbsmomto1

this sounds so silly, but it seems Storm's baby eyes are slowly making their exit...at first I thought it was the just the way the light filtered, but now I know its age. He is only 6 months old (and 3 days) I knew it was due to happen soon, I just am not ready for it to happen NOW.

He is my last baby bird, as our family is complete with Storm and with 1 child, 1 dog and 2 parrots and many many kids running around and my own daughter, adding another would be silly and stressful, plus I love the way the 2 parrot boys get along with each other and I fear that adding a 3rd will not work as well as this did, given a Quaker's attitude and territorialism..once was lucky, 2nd time probably would be disaster.....

It's weird because people have said "i thought he had yellow eyes with a black center" when I said he will some said thats when they wouldn't like him as much b/c the pinning eyes are "scary"..I personally like them, you can see so much expression in them if you just use your own eyes and look and his body language will help as well.

He is just 6 months old (and 3 days) I knew it would be coming soon but wasn't sure how soon, he has been with us not even 2 months yet (even though it seems like he has been here years)....he is growing into a "big man bird" so fast :( and I know he won't be a "mature" bird for a good while yet, that last physical change is here.

How long before the change is complete and his eyes are finished going through this change....? Does the actual eye changing affect his vision at all, does it become more clearer or has he been able to see as well as he does from hatch, well when his eyes opened?

With the changing eyes comes a new adventure as you see them grow into their next stage. As they grow you need to grow with them and enjoy each day as it comes.

It can take as long as two years before the straw eyes are complete. Enjoy the change and look to the future.

It is kind of a wistful time when you realize he is growing up after they were so helpless in the beginning with those black beautiful eyes and then a pretty silver grey iris. I love the straw yellow eyes too, it is the intelligence I see and a window to the soul as I have heard said. Our red bellied parrot has red eyes and a lot of people think they are really scary but I love them too. We haven't had a baby change through the black eyes to the pale yellow, so I can't answer your question. It is a great question though, I will be interested to read more about it.