NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question On Candles and such

Ronda477

Ok in the pamphlet that I just got in my care package for Sugar, there was a long list of dangers for our birds. One of them is candles and incense and dusting spray. Ok that's more than one lol but I have a question. I have been using these around my Quaker without knowing it was bad, she is 11 and we have had her for 7 years, is it really bad for the birds? I know this is going to be a touchy subject but I didn't know they were bad and she is fine, I don't burn candles every day or anything and of course I only get to dust about once a week. I'm not trying to me smart about it I'm just asking cause nothing has happened to my Quaker and being a smaller bird you would think it would have an effect on her. So are they really bad or is it just recommended that you shouldn't use them cause no one knows for sure? I don't want to do anything to harm my birds but if you were to take all the dangers out of your house, bleach, cleaning spray, and such you would have a dirty house! Is this really possible? Please help and please don't think I'm being smart about it, I really want to know what every one thinks! Thanks!!

Candles especially scented ones are not to be used around greys for they can harm their respiratory systems, they are much more sensitive to them than we are. Not to mention the danger of an open flame, and incense would have the same danger for them.

There is another thread here that answers these questions already, I will see if I can find it for you.

Yes, they are very bad. Don't use them. :(

There are numerous threads here regarding incense, fireplaces, and candles. Too many too list. Please type in the word CANDLES in the search topic box, and you will see them all listed. Just click on the different ones and you will find all that has been posted.<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/10/13 20:26

Hannah Rae - I have read that natural or pure oil fragrances (such as in Yankee candle) have less potential to be harmful. Here is a link to a yahoo post that describes some issues with candles and the responses from various people:

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071007183548AAlbLOi

personally, I only use unscented candles and a butane lighter, no matches. If I want my house to smell "good", I bake something. :)

We used scented candles for years while our finches and Jake has been in the house with us. It wasn't until doing research before purchasing Dayo (our Grey) that we found scented candles and other aerosols and cleaning fumes could harm them.

Since then, we have abstained from burning or purchasing any such items for home use.

I figure, better to be safe, than sorry, even though it never harmed our birds previously, atleast not that we know of.

It could, theoretically damage their respiratory system and perhaps be cumulative over lengths of time that would finally shorten their life.

I was wondering about soy candles -supposedly safe to use for humans with respiratory problems. I do not use any scented stuff and am cautious with cleaning type sprays. I do occasionally miss having a few scented candles going and so wondered about the soy/ Thanks.

Go to the link that zandische posted above, it answers that pretty clearly. There are different opinions, but I know that I am very sensitive to scents, so things safe for me are at least safer than other products.

What about fire places? Obvious the safety issues can be handled if the fireplace has natural safety guards, but no fireplace is 100% smoke proof.