NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How long do you let african grey out for?

katie.c

Hi guys .I was just thinking how long should I leave Dylan out of his cage ? And is there a thing about them having to much time out ? At the moment I have Dylan out for roughy 5 hrs a day is that to much or too little ? Thanks x

Hi guys .I was just thinking how long should I leave Dylan out of his cage ? And is there a thing about them having to much time out ? At the moment I have Dylan out for roughy 5 hrs a day is that to much or too little ? Thanks x

Not too much at all. The average number is between 4 to 6 hrs a day. The more the better. Some people can't let a bird out that much but there's no real harm. The only thing to work on *if necessary* is getting your bird back in the cage if that problem exists. So, 5 hrs a day is great.

As soon as I get up and as much as I can through out the day.

Jellybean is much easier to put in the cage since he is out more. Some "time out" in the cage. We are flexible:)

For example today, up since 7:15 let him out, depending on his mood he might be in or out. Today he was out because we found the perfect toy and he was busy for about three hours.

Then we went shopping for 3 hours and he was in, then out during " quiet time" for about another 3 hours. In for about an hour while I was doing chores and feeding other animals out since, flying around and beaking my hand and getting into all kinds of stuff:)

When I first got him I let him out around 3 p.m. until we went to bed. We progressed from there, but every day is different.

Exactly as Dave said. When I got Jasper I wasn't working and home all the time so I could pretty much let him stay out all the time. I was advised by the manager where I got him to not do that because when the time came for me to work he's not going to know how to act being penned up alot suddenly. Sometimes though they will put themselves away, I've seen this myself. Maybe Jasper had such freedom that it didn't bother him one way or another but there are times when the cage door is open and he's in his cage happily playing with a toy.

Definately time out of the cage is good but they need to understand there are times for being in the cage and it's not a punishment.

Whenever possible Gracie my CAG is out. The door to her cage is open when she is out and she frequently goes in and out to play with toys or get a drink of water or a nibble of food. Every day is different but I would guess she gets between 6-9 hours a day out of her cage depending on my schedule.