NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting a new one tomorrow (or not)

jerazm

Hey everyone. I'm planning to buy a CAG tomorrow but I'm getting cold feet. My house is small, with just one room. My household is active till 11 o'clock in the night and my dad wakes up at 5 in the morning. I'm afraid that my CAG won't get enough sleep. Should i reconsider my decision to get him? I'm feeling very dejected, but I wouldn't want to ruin the CAG's life by depriving him of sleep. Please give some suggestions :(

Mu first instinct is to tell you to hold off because your situation is far from ideal for a happy healthy grey. There aren't a lot of members on right now because of the new year holiday. Can you hold off until others weigh in with their opinions and experience?

I am thinking the same thing. Not ideal by what was described. The heart knows what the heart wants but, will that want continue when when the bird is in a bad mood because of not getting enough sleep? If your home is that busy, will there be time that the bird needs? Atleast 4 hours out of the cage everyday? They require a lot, are you ready for that?

^^Good post, and important. When I brought Timber home, I didn't prepare and didn't know anything. I didn't realize I needed to and how wrong I was! I don't regret it for a minute, but I had no idea how much time, attention and cost was involved. Most of my free time focuses on Timber. I'm not sure I would have been able to give him the time he needs when my kids were young and my life was "busier." A lot of people make it work and I'm not trying to be discouraging. As murfchck pointed out, just make sure you are ready for it.

Why does a Grey or any parrot need good solid sleep? The reason being these creatures think and interact the same way as humans do, they have a large brain that burns a lot of energy, they have a high metabolism, and their body temp is in the range of 103-105degrees. They think, therefore they need rest..