NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAGs and Young Children

paleale

Our CAG is in the process of weaning and due to come home mid-February. Today we visited the bird store recommended by our breeder to check out cages, toys, etc. We had a brief conversation with one of the employees who has a CAG at home. She took one look at my 6-year-old son and suggested getting a Cockatiel for him...

Unfortunately, she had a couple of crying babies in her hands waiting to be fed and said she'd be back to chat. We waited around a while, but had to leave. I'm confused as to why she'd recommend this. I'm wondering if I'm being naive in thinking that our Grey will be a family bird for the entire family... not just me. Our breeder has an older CAG (I think she's about 4-5 months) at her home who is happy to sit with our son and allow petting and playing. Yes, I have read they tend to bond to one person, but I didn't think that meant the rest of the family would be off limits. Was this lady trying to make a sale? Any clue why she may have made this suggestion? I wish we could've stayed to find out. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, tips, concerns regarding children and Greys.

I don't have any experience with kids and AG's, but I'm sure an experienced member will address you concerns. I can tell you that I got my rehomed TAG because of a child. The mother said that Timber kept lunging at the bars every time the child was close. He isn't an aggressive bird (normally) so I don't know what was going on there. However, I think young children with their quick, unpredictable movements and shrill voices tend to startle birds. I would think that the bird's and the child's upbringing would have a lot to do with how they interact. From the posts I've read here, most grey's have a "favorite" but interact with and tolerate other family members as well. I spend more time with Timber and do most of his care, but his favorite is my college age son, who isn't around that much during the semester. There is no accounting for taste! ;)

Hi, stick with just you Grey for right now you need to integrate him into the family. Your question is a hard one, no two Greys are a like this goes for all parrots. Three things can happen, 1, no problem, 2, some Greys dislike children due to the noise and the rapid movements, 3, Dislike of a human , child or adult. Make sure you child understand no rapid movement toward the Grey, yelling and poking or pointing fingers. In most cases the Grey will ignore a small child but that is not to say that they might bond in the future, they both have growing up to do, together. You Grey is going to go through quite a few changes in the next 5-6 years. Please be aware that they may never be comfortablr with each other, if this happens, then if your child is still interested, get a "Tiel. Most Greys dislike children toys that make noise, one of to things can happen, they can fear the object or imitate it......Remember, you'll be raising 2 six year old's. Maybe a parakeet in a separate room, but not a second attention requiring parrot like 'Tiel.

Thank you, Timbersmom and Jayd. Fortunately, my husband and I are very laidback people and my son is very much the same (as much as can be expected for a 6-year-old boy :P). He has been able to come along to every visit we've had so far with the new baby and has been curious and very respectful. Our amazing breeder even comes up with activities for our son to do with/for the Grey (making toys, tearing paper, etc.).

One thing, in particular, I very much admire in our breeder is how selective she is when it comes to what families take her babies home. She'd explained to me after our first meeting that a family had previously visited with three young children who were very... abrasive. She sent the family home to "think about it" and later told them it just wasn't a good fit. It makes me feel good knowing someone who's been doing this for 30+ years feels confident in our family to raise the baby in a loving home.

All in all I think we'll be just fine. The sales lady's comment just kind of threw me for a loop. I'm soaking up as much information as I can and when she mentioned that I was just like "Wait, huh?" Please don't confuse me anymore than I am, lady! :rolleyes:

Thank you, Timbersmom and Jayd. Fortunately, my husband and I are very laidback people and my son is very much the same (as much as can be expected for a 6-year-old boy :P). He has been able to come along to every visit we've had so far with the new baby and has been curious and very respectful. Our amazing breeder even comes up with activities for our son to do with/for the Grey (making toys, tearing paper, etc.).

One thing, in particular, I very much admire in our breeder is how selective she is when it comes to what families take her babies home. She'd explained to me after our first meeting that a family had previously visited with three young children who were very... abrasive. She sent the family home to "think about it" and later told them it just wasn't a good fit. It makes me feel good knowing someone who's been doing this for 30+ years feels confident in our family to raise the baby in a loving home.

All in all I think we'll be just fine. The sales lady's comment just kind of threw me for a loop. I'm soaking up as much information as I can and when she mentioned that I was just like "Wait, huh?" Please don't confuse me anymore than I am, lady! :rolleyes:

Thank you, and your breeder sounds really great, but, neither I nor any other breeder can say how any parrot especially a Grey will be after leaving their birthing home. A Grey in the wild stays with their flock and parents for up to two years or more before going out on their own, and then they continue in most cases to stay with the same flock. In the case of a captive grey in a matter of a few moments will be thrown into a totally new environment with new smells, sounds lighting and new faces with nothing recognizable since birth.

This is a very hard time for a Grey, a time where they need lots of attention to overcome this shock. Being Laid back helps, but a Grey chooses and decides for themselves who they bond with. Bonding, Grey are known to bond singularly with disregard for any other member of their home which could involve biting. The sales person was suggesting another bird for your son to give him something to do and learn from while the adults are coping with the demands of a new Grey. At this early stage you son will be involved from a distance, it usually boils down to one major adult for the next few years. Least we forget the terrible two's your grey will go through.

Your breeder is a very good one, that sets the standard for what all breeders should be like. The breeder we got our grey from was exactly as yours. We started visiting our grey when he was just 6 weeks old two to three times a week. All the greys were socialized from the time they were taken from the nest box with the breeders entire family and of course persons visiting and interested in obtaining one. Socialization is just one of the very important facets of how well rounded a baby grey will be when you eventually take them home. The more socialization, introduction to many new items like toys with different textures and colors along with a variety of fruits, veggies, nuts, pellets, seeds etc. is vital to this.

I do not know how close you live to this breeder, but when or grey was 14 weeks old, we started bring him home for 2 to 4 hours at a time a few days a week. His cage etc. was already setup and we had our families over along with young children during some of these at home visits and dayo was very social and interactive with them from the get go. The younger children and family members had to be instructed on ow to properly interact with him and if a young child started get too excited and doing stupid actions and motions as they do would be put in their place immediately and ask kindly never to do that type of thing around dayo to avoid any possible bad incidents between the two.

This worked out well for us and made dayo in to the very well socialized interactive, outgoing and inquisitive grey he is today.

I am so happy for you and look forward to hearing more as you visit your grey. :)

this is one of the reasons i decided on a TAG, after researching and talking to various breeders most of which suggested TAGS for families with young/small children. CAGS can be a bit more wound up and more neurotic, TAGS apparently have a more relaxed personality, and tolerated an active household much better. This is what they told me, I don't know if it's true for all greys. I'm sure personalities can be as different as black and white. We had Mango a CAG who lost his mate, thinking i could turn him into a pet. He was a great bird with me most times, but he hated little people, he was so stressed all the time, he ate holes in my walls etc etc, we had to rehome him to a breeder home and since he was a breeder before this was the best thing for him. He is very happy there and he has a new "wife". Storm is a TAG and he IS pretty relaxed, he doesn't seem to mind that little people are always in my house and he will willingly go to them IF I put him on them. He used to step up for everyone but in the last 2 weeks this has changed, no he steps up to me only but will allow others to play with him and hold him. He seems to generally have a better temperment than Mango did, however that may be a baby thing and I imagine that as he gets older his behaviours might change as to what he tolerates and doesn't.

I think some people suggest a tiel for a family with kids because while they do bite, they are less likely to bite to cause harm, not that a grey means to cause harm b/c i don't think they do, but they sure do have more power in their beaks than a tiel. That being said Echo is a quaker and he bites sometimes, and his bites hurt way worse than Storms do. Echo goes for blood, Storm has only bitten me twoce, the first time was because I startled him and he was trying to fight back, in his defense the room was fairly dark and I didn't say anything, so totally 100% my fault. He bit again yesterday but more in fear b/c his toes were stuck, so he was afraid, and that bite I didn't even feel until hours after when i lay in bed. When Echo bites he doesn't want to let go ntil he is sure he has inflicted you with enough pain.

Bottom line is a parrot is a wild animal, they may be domesticated in the future but very far into it. As any wild animal they can bit, I have learned that with parrots it isn't a matter of IF they bite but WHEN they bite and they all will.

If you teach your young children the proper way to interact with your birds then you shouldn't have much problem but young kids do tend to be loud and fast moving, things that greys do not like. Your new grey may not take to your son right off but if he takes it slow and easy and listens to his mother on proper behavior then there is a great chance they will be friends.