NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to the group - sort of

Audrey

Hello,

I actually joined in July of 2010 when looking to get a grey but got too busy and caught up in life. I now have a Timneh who is amazing and that I love dearly. I would like to be on line much more especially to benefit from all the wisdom that the group has!

My girl, Liesel, is either 14 or 19 this year. She was in the second home when I found her and they couldn't agree on her age. She does have an open band and I would love to know if I can trace her number for more information anywhere?

Thanks, Audrey

Hi

Concerning that band--it's almost impossible for a person to track down info on an open band. That's because open bands are put on birds for many reasons. Many times, it has to do with a bird's original birth area or a state it came from or making it easier for a person to sell that bird to a second or third time owner. A long time ago, open bands were used on birds that were illegally obtained from other countries. Any type of info can be put on an open band. The best thing you can is look at the band, check out any numbers and they may resemble the year of birth. Or you can contact the previous owners and find out what info they have concerning info on the band. Either way, your bird is still a young bird.

Thanks Dave for the clarification, answers a lot of my questions. Curious about her history of course but the most important thing is that she is such a sweet girl. Zoe, thanks for the welcome!

Probably the most important thig you just said was. ""is that she is such a sweet girl"" Many people strive for that because of the happiness it brings to the owner as well as the bird and you've reached that point. Congrats and good luck.

Sadly, the US Wild Bird Conservation Act wasn't passed until 1992. This means that many legally imported greys could (should) still be alive & hopefully well for a long time yet.

Phenix is one of them. Unfortunately, he's also one of so many who has no past (documented or otherwise). But he would likely have been brought thru quarantine & banded sometime in the 1970-80's BC (before computers lol).

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/bird_leg_band.shtml

Thing about this info is that it really only confirms that they were imported vs rebanded. You may or may not be able to track down when. No way to know the age of a wild caught at the time. Still no way to know about a rebanded bird w/no paper trail, either.

It just seems wrong. But it's nearly impossible to get any useful info off that thing. Sarasota's the only one I've heard who had much luck. You might try PMing her.

I wish you luck! But greys really do love to keep their parronts guessing. So in the end, this may just one of the many mysteries you'll eventually discover about Liesel. :)

Probably the most important thig you just said was. ""is that she is such a sweet girl"" Many people strive for that because of the happiness it brings to the owner as well as the bird and you've reached that point. Congrats and good luck.

...what Dave said!

Hello Audrey and welcome to our family.

Congrats on finally getting your grey and that is one profound statement, "she is such a sweet girl" that says volumes about how she has adjusted to a new home and bonded with another parront, hopefully her last.

Please do browse thru all the threads for you will find a wealth of information from like members, most firsthand experience, you will probably find a lot of the answers to some of your questions but ask away if you have some specific ones.

Pictures are always welcomed.

Searching quarantine bands is very difficult. There were many smaller private stations on the East Coast, mainly Florida, that took in birds. Imports stopped in 1992, so you don't see open bands after that date.

I am lucky to know a bird store owner that also worked in the quarantine stations for years. He keep records of his personal stock, so I was able to estimate a date of entry for my Timneh. They only imported black or grey eyed babies so you can start with that estimate.

Since the quarantines closed in 1992, and you have an open leg band, I *think* you can use the closer estimate in age of 21 - your bird won't be younger than that.

I hope this is helpful. If you have a local breeder that has been around for awhile (and keeps good records) you may be able to get help tracing.