NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Has your Grey...

RaggaMuffin

Ever clip his/her own nails? LOL idk if this is something I should be concerned about, or if this is "normal". Ragga and I are sitting here watching a movie cuddling, scratching when all of a sudden, very calmly he starts biting his nails. I've never seen him do this before. He is just clipping off the tips. He is due for a nail trim, they are long. maybe he's just annoyed with the length? He is not a plucker or never has he clipped his feathers. .... ill attach a pic of him biting his nails.

IMAG0989.jpg

A Greys nails will be worn by normal climbing around branches or scratching in gravel. So lots of climbing branches are a good thing. Some put various sized perches around made from an abrasive material or sand paper. Climbing around in a cage on cage bars does no good at all for keeping nails in trim. If your Grey trims his own nails that is fine. A human doing it if not properly trained, risks doing real harm and pain. I have never had to trim Misty's nails and he will occasionally nibble the odd talon if he feels the need. They need to have them a little sharp for grip but not too long.

Steve n Misty