NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Straws

• 2 weeks later...

honestly, I thought I read somewhere that plastic is no good, especially straws. I remember reading something like they can't digest it and the only way it can be removed is surgery. I mean, sure, everyone says they luv 'em ... but that doesn't mean they should have them. My research tells me VEGETABLE TANNED or untreated leather is the way to go.

I also see a lot of people using PVC without mentioning

"There are different types of PVC and some contain chemicals that can be toxic. You want PVC that is safe when used for drinking water applications."

so i wanted to add that in too.

I do not like using plastic for things myself or my chihuahuas, why would I want any kind of plastic for my wally bird?

Although I will admit I bought him a couple toys that have a few big plastic beads on them. More of SISAL rope and safe wood to chew, but the day I notice he starts to chew on them plastic beads, those toys are gone

Edited by mrsray

honestly, I thought I read somewhere that plastic is no good, especially straws. I remember reading something like they can't digest it and the only way it can be removed is surgery. I mean, sure, everyone says they luv 'em ... but that doesn't mean they should have them. My research tells me untreated leather is better.

True, they cannot digest many made or even natural items, but they do not ingest it. They simply like ripping these items to pieces. Big fun activity! :)

There are paper straws if you don't want to use the plastic. There are some very exciting concept products that are being tested now including things such edible cups called jelloware.

interesting, isn't there wax on the paper straws? and ya, jelloware, will keep an ear out for that LOL ... so you are saying jello is ok for greys?

The paper straws I have seen were not wax coated (wax coating would make most drinks taste terrible). As for the jelloware it is a plant based gelatin. If it makes it to widespread commercial production the ingredient list can be looked at.

Jellybean loves to tear up a solo cup or two. I always wondered if he might not eat some by accident. Therefore I switched to big Budweiser beer boxes. Cardboard and hours of fun. One will last about a day. Luckily we have friends that like to drink beer.....

Edited by DanielaWelborn
spelling

that valentine heart swing is nothing but plastic ... would never give it to my Wally (oh, the perch is not plastic)

a quote on a straw toy youtube video

"nanitesnodes 9 months ago

Plastic wont pass through his gizzard trust me I know. Its gonna cost me around 1000 us dollars to have it taken out. nice bird though"

be warned before giving the bird plastic ...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?59362-Concerns-Chewing-Plastic-(Wiffle-Balls)&p=96125&viewfull=1#post96125

a quote from:

http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/the-a-b-cs-of-non-food-items-that-birds-love

"Soft plastic and vinyl toys can be quickly destroyed and eaten by parrots. Cute? Yes! But these toys can end up in a bird's stomach and either release noxious chemicals as they degrade, or resist degradation for long periods of time and act as irritants or obstructive foreign bodies. Parrot owners are often surprised that their bird actually ingested a portion of the item it destroyed. A careful exam of a birds dropping will often yield evidence of recent nonfood ingestion."

I'm sticking with straws fitting in the "soft plastic" category and I am totally shocked at how many bird owners think they are ok toys for their precious bird.

Edited by mrsray